• Show
Clear All

• matthew55
    replied
    Please try and find snoring aids. I know how painful sellotape can be! 😁😍Xx

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    I read a book called 'Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art' James Nestor 2020. In one chapter they talk about mouth taping....which sounds a similar concept as matthew55 chin strap. Just stops your mouth falling open while you sleep. I use a medical tape like micropore. It did freakout the SALT nurse when I told her lol but I started trying it pre diagnosis. It makes me breath through my nose which the author believes is healthier. The benefits are you don't wake up with a dry mouth. The disadvantage is if I'm found dead in bed the police will assume I've been tortured 😮😲

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    I got a tounge scraper but couldn't make it work, so now I keep longer fingernails! 😂😋🤭😁xx

Leave a comment:

• Mary C
    replied

Hi Ellie,
    My GP prescribed some saliva stimulating pastilles which I suck on.I could try sugar free chewing gum.( Never been a gum chewer )
    I use a magnifying mirror when I apply make up and when I stuck my tongue out to take a look today it looked worse than last week.I do have a dry mouth as mentioned before but maybe this is the impact of MND in tongue.Need to not dwell on that though as admit it’s a bit scary.
    Chewing gum on tomorrow’s shopping list.
    Best wishes
    Mary
    Last edited by Mary C; 4 June 2021, 09:15.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Sorry to hear that Mary, I'm glad it's not sore.

You don't strike me as an avid chewing gum chewer but, if and only if you can do so safely, I wonder if chewing a sugar-free gum might improve things? xx

Leave a comment:

• Mary C
    replied
    Still got the cracked tongue..in fact it’s looking worse.scary.The swab and blood tests came back as normal so no clues there.

Its not sore but scary to look at.Presume it’s due to dry mouth and MND in tongue ..
    It doesn’t seem to be a problem other people with MND seem to have???

I use a mouthwash..Biotene for dry mouth and biotene dry mouth toothpaste.Did a course of nystatin but no improvement
    Speech now getting affected too
    Oh well just have to accept it and don’t stick my tongue out at anyone 😛
    Best wishes
    Mary

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Lizzie Have a look for 'chin straps for snoring' on the web and you'll get the idea. xx

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Whythenshaw Hospital. Like a bandage with velcro fastenings. Do it tight and it stays on all through the night. 😀x

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie
    replied
    Matthew, where did you get your jaw brace? What’s it like? x

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    It's just a velcro strap

Leave a comment:

• Mary C
    replied
    Hi Lizzie,
    My tongue isn’t sore just cracked in several places.I use biotene dry mouth toothpaste, do mouthwashes, had a course of nystatin and the problem remains.
    The dry mouth persists ..It’s ok in the day but at night if I am restless I reach for sips of water and use biotene artificial saliva gel.It’s gives temporary relief.
    I also gag a lot when brushing my teeth and at the dentist.
    Oh well plod on...don’t fancy a jaw brace yet.

Best wishes
    Mary

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    I wear a jaw brace each night and no more dry mouth

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie
    replied
    Hi Mary. I too have a dry cracked tongue. Like you I have a dry mouth at night, and was prescribed Nystan drops and Daktarin gel which haven’t really helped. I’ve also tried various mouthwashes. I haven’t had any further tests yet, and I’ve had it so long now I just think of it as part of the Bulbar symptoms. Let us know how your tests go. Lizzie x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Is your tongue sore, Mary? You may need to brush the tongue and/or do a thorough swish with mouthwash etc. to make sure there's no debris lurking in the cracks which would only compound your problem but, if the tongue is sore, that won't be pleasant...

The fact that your mouth is dehydrated could have a role to play in the issue and the blood tests will show any vitamin or mineral deficiency, which can be easily rectified, so hopefully those test results will come back soon.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    Presumably you're not talking about muscle wastage, my tongue is shrunken on the sides, but not deep cracks I don't think. Hope Gp can help x

Leave a comment:

Working...
X