This week's discovery – constipation affects breathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Denise..
    I could get commission.I shall miss it when I go in hospital next week to get a PEG fitted.
    Best wishes
    Mary

Comment

Let us know when you go in mary then we can wish you the best.
      Denise xx

Comment

It's something to look forward to returning to. I'd go every week for a PEG if I could. 😍😘🤗😁xx
        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

How often do they need replacing?

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
            How often do they need replacing?
            A bumper retained tube, which covers the vast majority of long feeding tubes, doesn't normally need replacing unless it breaks or is 'old' and has wear and tear.

Some manufacturers recommended placing a new tube every 18-24months but, in practice, this is rarely done, and they last years. Only some hospitals seem to bother replacing tubes routinely.

Balloon retained tubes, on the other hand, need to be replaced regularly - their lifespan is about 6 months but some people change theirs more frequently. Balloon retained long tubes are usually fitted in a RIG procedure. xx
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Ellie. Stephens peg has 2 caps one for feed and one for flush. The feed has stretched a bit so it should be replaced but I think they might replace the whole thing. Only went in 8 months ago. Seems daft to me.

Comment

Working...
              X