Eye problems and MND?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye problems and MND?

Hello, just wondering if anyone with MND has experienced eye problems?. My partner had been really suffering with his eyes for the past 6 months. They will just sting like mad to the point where he cannot open his eyes. He does not wear glasses on a regular basis or contacts its not hay fever as he had it in Winter time never suffered with that before either. Went to opticians and GP who both examined his eyes and noticed a fluid build up behind one eye but do not feel this anything to worry about and feel he is just experiencing dry eye. I have put drops in for dry eye but it doesn't completley reslove the issue and lately it seeems to be getting worse. We have been told it is nothing to do with his MND but i cant help but wonder if it is. Anyone else experienced this problem? Louise 😊

Mole41 Stinging tears/eyes does come up from time to time and, whilst it isn't directly related to the death of motor neurons, dry eyes is a common side effect of many of our meds, dehydration is also a culprit.

I know you say it's not hayfever but other allergens can't be ruled out, especially in these lockdown times when we've spent lots more time indoors (not saying he lives in a dusty house, but it doesn't take much!!)

Keep going with the artificial tears and he should up his water intake, see if things improve.

Good luck to you both, Louise.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Hubby had an eye infection last week put down to air leakage from his vent mask. Is your hubby on ventilation?

Comment

No he is not on any ventilation currently

Comment

Dehydration could well be the culprit Ellie . He is struggling to drink water these days as he feels that the Salivia thickens when drinking water, does anyone know why that is?. He is awaiting some thickener to be added to drinks to help, so hopefully that will resolve the issue. 😊

Comment

Mole41 Carbocisteine for phlegm, Glycopyrronium Bromide for saliva, a suction machine and man size tissues. Works for me πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ˜xx
            Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Look I suffer with dry eyes. I'm a carer for my husband so not suffering for mnd. I just put a very little bit of olive oil on my eyelids. Just gently with my finger and don't let it run into the eyes.

Denise xxx

Comment

Working...
              X