Home monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home monitoring

I have just got an oxygen monitor, the one that goes on your finger, and first few reads are upper 90's. I'm not sure if this is a good idea. What do you think? πŸ€”πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜˜xx
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

something on news yesterday that said if you have dark skin then those things arent working properly.

Comment

I use one but only if I don’t feel too good πŸ‘
      Janette x

Comment

I use one only to see if the low levels are causing my headache, or it is there from another reason. A cheap and useful device.

Comment

Hi..Are these supplied via NHS.?Does it monitor carbon dioxide levels or just oxygen?I was told retention of carbon dioxide can cause headaches on waking.
          Mary

Comment

matthew55 I think they're a good idea. I have one and use it every now and then.

Sats in the upper 90s is excellent πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ It'd be great to measure them on waking, be that at 3am or after a full night's sleep (with and without your Z pills) 😘😘
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

I bought one at the outset of covid...useful to have IMO πŸ˜‡
              Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Important to note: pulse oximeters were in the news over the weekend - they give higher (false) readings on darker skin tones, so should not be relied upon by some people. xx

​

Comment

I've seen your photo πŸ’–, but I am quite sure there are forum members with various skin tones, who ought to be aware of the issue. xx

​

Comment

Readings can vary 1-2% between fingers and hands.

Choose one finger and stick to it.

Doug

Comment

97 when I woke up πŸ˜„πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜€xx
                      Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
                        97 when I woke up
                        That's excellent, I see how you can sleep comfortably without NIV.

For comparison, with NIV on overnight, my oxygen level doesn't go above 95, and spends most of the night hovering between 92-94.

I'm happy for you πŸ₯°πŸ₯°

​

Comment

Mary, an oximeter doesn't measure CO2 levels unfortunately. I think this can only be measured by blood sample from ear or wrist or somewhere?? I don't know if they are supplied by nhs, but are fairly cheap online xx
                          Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Working...
                          X