Flail arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flail arms

Hi everyone, I’m really struggling with my arms, in particular what to do with them when out walking. My right arm hangs and is now causing pain in the top of my back. I asked the Physio at my last clinic appointment but he wasn’t very helpful, has anyone one got any ideas?

Have you tried a sling yet?

Comment

Hi,
      when mine plays up I wear a jacket and keep my hand in the pocket, I have also found that if I’m holding something, such as a bag, or the dog lead,(dog is attached i hasten to add) other muscles take over and stop it waving around.
      as for exercise I use a resistance band and pull upwards to try a strengthen the shoulder, my physio suggestion.
      another suggestion which you can do anywhere, try simply moving your shoulder blades together, using muscles below your shoulder blades, it’s a gentle movement but it helps strengthen other muscles, you will feel it tighten your front, it has reduced my shoulder drop,
      Has your physio given you any exercises?
      As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
        ... if I’m holding something, such as a bag, or the dog lead,(dog is attached i hasten to add)
        😂😂😂😂 Thanks for that laugh Shaun!

I do that shoulder blade exercise everyday too (in bed) I can't move them much nowadays but, hey ho, every little helps. I also do shoulder rolls and shrugs. My arms themselves are paralysed but I can move my shoulders. (I'm not Flail Arm though) 😘

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Or simply ignore them, that works for me. 🤗😄😘😄xx
          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny5 View Post
            Have you tried a sling yet?
            I’ve used scarfs as such but the Physio doesn’t like this approach as apparently it changes your centre of gravity

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
              Hi,
              when mine plays up I wear a jacket and keep my hand in the pocket, I have also found that if I’m holding something, such as a bag, or the dog lead,(dog is attached i hasten to add) other muscles take over and stop it waving around.
              as for exercise I use a resistance band and pull upwards to try a strengthen the shoulder, my physio suggestion.
              another suggestion which you can do anywhere, try simply moving your shoulder blades together, using muscles below your shoulder blades, it’s a gentle movement but it helps strengthen other muscles, you will feel it tighten your front, it has reduced my shoulder drop,
              Has your physio given you any exercises?
              Thank you Shaun, in the winter I did use my pockets, but unfortunately I can’t hold anything. The resistance band idea made me smile as I can’t even ping an elastic band.
              Nothing from the physio but will try the exercises you have suggested

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                😂😂😂😂 Thanks for that laugh Shaun!

I do that shoulder blade exercise everyday too (in bed) I can't move them much nowadays but, hey ho, every little helps. I also do shoulder rolls and shrugs. My arms themselves are paralysed but I can move my shoulders. (I'm not Flail Arm though) 😘
                Thank you Ellie, will give the shoulder rolls and shrugs a go

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
                  Or simply ignore them, that works for me. 🤗😄😘😄xx
                  Thank you Matthew, it would be good if I could ignore everything MND related, but difficult though

Comment

Having a mood drug certainly helps with ignoring it.👍🤗😘😍xx
                    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Working...
                    X