Being mute reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being mute reality

When we talk we don't think about the spelling of the words we say, but when you're mute if don't know the first few letters you have to look it up. It takes long enough for us to communicate and this just makes it longer. I hope technology finds an answer soon. 😁😘🤗👍xx
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

I know where you are coming from Mathew. Maybe Predictable needs to be a bit more easy. I’m not using it yet but when I’ve played around with it then it seems more fiddly than it needs to be. When I can no longer use my hands (and voice) which may come sooner than I’d like, I’ll have to get to grips with it. I was given a headset controlled app for navigating on my iPad and iPhone but it’s dreadfully slow. I don’t look forward at all to being dependent on it. In the meantime I have short bursts of my voice left and some hand use. But my right hand, which is my dominant hand, is failing fast. Love Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi Lynne K,
      like you I play around with predictable app and it seems slow but I know nothing about eye gaze and maybe that too is slow.My voice has become a lot weaker and like most people I dread losing it and making the transition to no speech.
      However I am glad there is at least a means of communicating rather than being locked in.
      I guess I will get used to having no speech and I thank God I have a supportive family and a circle of friends as well as my faith to help me cope.
      Best wishes
      Mary

Comment

Good afternoon,

I've been the beneficiary of my very generous occupational therapist and her team who have provided me with an eye gaze unit for this computer which I am playing with the moment and seems to work very well after 3 false starts. The last one involved the technical bloke who is my occupational therapist sidekick, the UK rep for Tobii and starring on the phone the Sweden-based European level support person.

Typing letters is a little slow but I get faster the more often I use it although I still have some use of my hands at the moment so this is still test phase.
        Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder– Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

nunhead_man Which system have you - a GridPad, i15, eye tracker on your own PC etc.?

I presume you know that the dwell time can be shortened? Dwell time is how long you need to look a letter or command before it's 'entered'. xx
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Mary and Andy. I await Andy’s reply to you Ellie, Lynne x
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

Comment

dat is y i tri 2 deconstruct english. wot is de point in spelin corectli wen it jus talks?
              Copyright Graham

Comment

Understood Graham x

Comment

Hi Ellie

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                  nunhead_man Which system have you
                  I have an eye tracker on my own PC at the moment which I am playing with.

And I can play around with the settings on it which I've been doing this morning to make it more usable for me.

Having said that the moment I'm still using voice dictation, pencil to press keys on the keyboard, and the ball mouse to operate my system although I have a swingarm on the way from the technical people in Oxford which will support my arm and elbow and better able me to use a pointer on the keyboard.

I'm really waiting for the eye tracker to work over two screens.

Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder– Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

nunhead_man Great that you get to use the eye tracker on your own device Andy - which mouse emulation did they install, Grid 3?

How are you finding it now that you've had it a while? xx
                    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
                    X