Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogs

[Not sure if I'm posting this in the right category - might be better off in "Off Topic", or even "Equipment" ...]

I've long wanted a dog, but it never seemed sensible what with urban living and frequent travel. But of course I'll be travelling a lot less in future - and we're moving to a place with a proper garden, so: opportunity to add a canine companion to our household! (silver lining? )

However, I won't be able to look after it all by myself - a lot of the hard work will be my husband's, and he's already got enough on his plate. Sooo: is this a sensible thing to consider? We're both dog novices too ... I didn't even have a particularly good track record keeping house plants alive ...

Past and present dog owners, what are your experiences? Compatible with MND?

My wife also wants a shih tzu dog but she’s also wants to do everything while she can.so at the moment it’s on hold till November (well I hope it is)
    but knowing her she will get 1 when she wants.
    now as for you get 1 for companionship and am sure your partner will chip in

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      ... a lot of the hard work will be my husband's, and he's already got enough on his plate.
      Given that taking care of a dog will largely fall to your husband, he'd need to be 100% in favour of getting a dog and, if he is, Woop Woop 👍👍😍, say hello to your new four-legged friend 🐶

We got our first dog a few years after my diagnosis, we both had dogs growing up but were never responsible for one ourselves. We decided to get one and our kids even signed a 'contract' committing to playing their part in looking after a dog (that lasted maybe a month 🙄😂😂😂) My husband does the bulk of doggy care in our house, I can do nothing for her.

Pros: apart from the sheer joy, companionship and getting the best 'welcome home' greeting...
      - You know the way Princess Diana said, "there are 3 of us in this marriage"? Well, it was like that in my marriage, with MND being the ever-present 3rd person, and bringing a dog into the house diluted much of that intensity and put the focus on the dog.
      - It gives hubby some 'me time' on their walks and a great excuse to get out.

Cons:
      - The puppy stage can be full on but so cute!
      - They need ongoing care including grooming, worming, walking, potential vet bills, poo picking up, attention, company and love but they give back with bells on.
      - They can be expensive.

We had to have a dog with an affable temperment because I have carers coming in and out during the day and they'd be handling me, so to speak, so the dog couldn't be possive of me, which meant researching breeds and unfortunately that ruled out most rescue dogs (unknown crossbreeds)

Getting a dog was a great decision for us.

Good luck!

Love Ellie.

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I love dogs..although I haven't had a dog for years as I was so devastated when my last one died...a Battersea rescue...Heinz 57 variety.
        I say go for it so long as your husband doesn't mind picking up dog poo....taking it for walks in all weather...trips to the vets....etc

​​​​​​Dogs are great companions and give you unconditional love....no idea about best breed for temperament but there's loads of info in various official breed sites.

You could just start with a guinea pig🤷🏼‍♀️😂
        Good luck
        😉
        Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

We got a dog (puppy), and a month later I started falling...tests...diagnosis etc etc, so not the best timing! However, tbh having her kept me going and although I can't do all the things I hoped, like hill-hiking with dog etc, she has a great life and is the best companion. So much so, we got another 3 years later! They both get walks, run in garden, are my constant companions in house. 😊

Comment

Hi

I've had dogs in my life since I was 18. I miss them a lot. it got me out walking, even on days when it wasn't pleasant out, and meeting people. I'd love one now but it wouldn't be sensible and I'm not always the most sensible person. Saying that I have 3 cats. How about getting in touch with the local dogs home. Some animals end up in a home because their owners can no longer look after them through various reasons. Not always because they are unruly. Older dogs don't need so much exercise but do need love. Explain to them the situation and they might be able to find a really good match. The local dogs home had some real sweeties looking for homes but my cats would never forgive me. 😼

Comment

I've got cats myself, 2 of them. They give fun and love to us and they will be there after I am gone (hopefully), so companionship for my hubby.

Comment

If you can take care of it ... Yes! x

Comment

Thank you everyone, for sharing your experiences and the encouragement! We may well end up adopting an older doggo whose energy levels match mine ... It'll be a while before we move and can start Operation Houndhunt in earnest, but I promise to post pictures as and when.

Comment

Oh goody. I was calling my cats in at 4am this morning. I think my neighbours think I'm mad. The other day out on the back lane in my nightdress and Cardi trying to get daft cat in that decided she definitely wasn't coming home.

Comment

I’ve had dogs all of my life until I moved in with Steve in 2002. I’ve missed having a dog but Steve doesn’t like living with one and I couldn’t manage one now anyway. Our landlord, the local council doesn’t allow dogs in their flats. Lynne
                      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne K View Post
                        Our landlord, the local council doesn’t allow dogs in their flats.
                        At least that means you don't have to choose between Steve and a dog... 😉😍

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Absolutely love dogs and have a cockerpoo who is nearly 4. years old . Obviously in my previous life walking for a big part of our life plus she is hotels and pub trained which is essential!
                          She is very protective and loving , barks at the Carers but very friendly and sleeps on my bed at night - not easy when it’s a single hospital bed but we manage . A good dog walker is a good idea too but generally she is very easy to care for and her favourite place is on my knee in the wheelchair.
                          My youngest daughter has just got a chocolate Labrador puppy and brings him round most days. Only thing I cannot do is wipe up wee and puppy pads are a good idea
                          and is favourite place to sleep is under my wheelchair .
                          Go for it a dog can only enhance your life in so many ways Jane xx

Comment

That’s lovely Jane xx
                            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne K View Post
                              Our landlord, the local council doesn’t allow dogs in their flats. Lynne
                              Think service dogs. They get trained and are able to pick stuff up for you when you drop things and will be a big help doing what they do. I do not think they could kick you out for having a service dog, but you should check. Laws that protect handicapped folks may open the door for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X