No announcement yet.

Numb tongue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose initially I thought well it's the only MND drug on offer so must be worth taking...anyway I've tried.
    matthew55 how did you feel when you did take it?

denise thanks for that...

Xxx
    Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

No different to be honest 💗😁😘😍xx
      Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

matthew55 so you stopped taking it not because of any side effects....
        Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

LindaB I felt really ill on riluzole so stopped taking it, and felt a lot better again, so no regrets x
          Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

I stopped because I don't want to extend this standard of living. I look forward to dying. 👍😁😘😍xx
            Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Heather R thanks for that....it's a balancing act isn't it....if it stopped MND in its tracks then of course I'd manage side efects...but feeling sick effects my appetite so....I'm assuming it's the medication. Anyway will stop again and let the medics know. 👍xx

Comment

Answering my own initial question… I asked the neurology consultant today about my numb tongue (and roof of mouth too now). She told me that the disease can affect certain adjacent sensory nerves and it’s not totally restricted to loss of motor function. Makes sense to me since I have advanced bulbar issues now.
                Last edited by PeterPan; 26 November 2021, 05:48.
                Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

Comment

Hi Peter Pan, I find my tongue and speech being affected as the hardest symptoms so far, along with long term dry/mouth.
                  Each day I wake and my voice is weaker makes me sad.I keep practicing the predictable 6 app as I am sure that will me my communication aid before long.
                  I often gag when I brush my teeth and have strings of clear thickish phlegm in the mornings too.
                  My throat feels like it’s narrowing too.I have respiratory appointment soon so will have to discuss it then.
                  I can feel the changes in recent months in my speech, mouth , throat …I guess due to deterioration.Also reliant on supplements now as no appetite.When I do eat the food sticks around my mouth.
                  Oh well moan over….Time to get ready as our daughter coming at lunch time plus 2 grandchildren after school.
                  Have a good day
                  Best wishes
                  Mary

Comment

I have been where you are and I found Carbocistine and suction helped. Also taking the decision to go 100% tube fed. Most of our battle is mental. 👍😁🤗💖xx

Comment

Mary C never think it's moaning...it's useful we all share our experiences, good and not good. Enjoy your family visits. My granddaughter(all grown up) coming over this evening and will stay the night...love her so much💖

Comment

Ahh Ellie. Didn’t like what you said about yourself albeit maybe in a jokey way. You are an incredible strong women who gives everyone so much support on this forum. Your knowledge not just with MND but many also on many other topics you give absolute full attention. Despite your illness you are truly an inspiration and are obviously still in control of your life which is fabulous. I think your amazing.x

Comment

Piglet Well said. Ellie is amazing. I can't imagine how i might feel when my disease worsens. I am soooooooo fortunate that mine progresses at snails pace; keeping cheerful is no problem for me. My husband does all the worrying in this house! Lol
                          Mum died with MND in 1979 – My sister and I have a wonky gene, probably inherited from mum. Reckon my MND started sometime in 2018.

Comment

Working...
                          X