Swallowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swallowing

Hi all hope you’re all good, I’m having issues with swallowing saliva it feels as if it’s going down wrong hole but I have to swallow every now and then. I’m worried every swallow is going to turn into a coughing fit or even worse cause a chest infection. Ive herd of tablets too slow saliva down but l still need to swallow. Thanks in advance for any help

If you're still coughing you're doing well. Glycopyrronium Bromide is what I use after having radiotherapy on my saliva glands. Perhaps a mental health professional would be of more help.
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Originally posted by House44 View Post
      Ive herd of tablets too slow saliva down but l still need to swallow.
      Yeou're right Wayne, there are several meds which reduce the amount of saliva produced which, thankully, don't affect how you swallow.

I also take glycopyrronium which works well for me, but there are other meds and treatments, if a particular option isn't working for you. xx
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks for the Glycopyrronium tip not sure about mental health professional though. I’ve got mnd my mental health is already shot.

Comment

My apologies for the remark. There's been a few fakers recently and I wasn't thinking. Sorry again. 😢☹️xx
          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Hello All

Big brother today told me he had woken up with a sore throat and he thinks his voice is weakening. I suggested it might be a cold and he then told me he is concerned about his swallowing too as he has "noticed it". He said he was going to contact his speech therapist. I know he has already done some voice banking.
            What I just wanted to ask really is what does this sound like the start of him declining with his voice and swallowing? I'm guessing it is but would like an idea of what to expect. Do you mind sharing please?
            Thank you
            Littlesister

Comment

Littlesister Yes, your brother would notice if his swallow, speech and voice strength is starting to change, even quite subtle ones, so he's right to see his SLT for an assessment and advice.

The "sore throat" though - did he liken it to a normal 'scratchy' sore throat or more like a lump in his throat? xx

Comment

With my Bulbar I first noticed my voice had changed. Next I was eating really slowly. Then came tube feeding. Through it all (2 years this Jan) I can swallow. Lucky really as the nerves for swallowing are right next to the ones for breathing. Happy Days! A wim a way! 😁😚😘😍xx
                ​​

Comment

Ellie matthew55 thank you both. Ellie he didn't say yesterday what type of sore throat it was, but he has told me today that he has spoken to the speech therapist and she seems to think it's just a normal sore throat. matthew55 thank you for describing what can happen. I think my brother is so panicked by it all that he is on super alert for the slightest thing and then thinking it's a sign of things starting to go wrong. Basically getting himself in a bit of a tizz too quickly. Again your help and experience is much appreciated.
                  Little Sister

Comment

It's vital to take it one day at a time and try not to think. Keep the mind occupied, I use Netflix, Prime Video and Disney plus mostly. But whatever floats his boat! Stay Strong and remember we are here for you both. 😁🤗😘😍xx

Comment

Littlesister I'm glad to hear it's just a normal sore throat and nothing sinister 👍👍

Comment

Working...
                      X