• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Olivia H
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2018

MND Register

Others may disagree, but I believe strongly in the principle that you should have the choice to opt in to the MND Register, rather than now having to actively opt out.
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Fair opinion Olivia H

I guess the rationale is to gather the greatest volume of data possible and the opt-out basis supposedly yields this. There is no definite figure for the number of people living with an MND in England, Wales & Northern Ireland, which isn't ideal at a basic services planning level.

The MND Register in Scotland is 'by invitation', so you can decline or accept to be on it.

The MND Register in Ireland is includes everyone with a confirmed MND diagnosis - no opt-in, no opt-out, it's centrally gathered anonymised information - so is a complete record of the incidence, prevalence and clinical features of MND in the Irish population since 1994. The Register is often cited and used in modelling, all of which furthers our understanding of the impact of MND.

Data collection will always be a thorny issue, with very good reasoning... xx
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Olivia H
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2018

Yes Ellie, very reasonable points and very interesting to see the variations between different regulatory bodies.
      I think the fact it is not anonymised, in this version in England and Wales, is for me the major issue. The patient/clinician trust and personal/identifiable medical histories are not something that should be bundled up with other aspects of data/research, such as recording accurate numbers of cases, which would be perfectly reasonable data to collect. Would this be allowed for other conditions I wonder; just because no one has found a cure, mnd sufferers should not be treated less favourably. I feel this is not just an issue of confidentiality but also medical ethics. I was not asked to waive my confidentiality for recent cancer treatment and don't think as mnd sufferers we should suffer further detriment in this way. Of course many people will be happy to register, and that is fine, but this format does present some fundamental concerns

Comment

• denise
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2020

Considering we are probably on all kinds of lists and registers just through what we search for on the internet having one that can be opted in or out of makes little difference . Any one notice how cynical I've become? 🤔
        when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

• Lynne K
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2017

I registered about 2 year ago. I thought that researchers need data x
          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Ellie
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Olivia H View Post
            I think the fact it is not anonymised, in this version in England and Wales, is for me the major issue.
            It's not anonymised 😲😲😲 Why ever not? That's an entirely different kettle of fish...

There is nothing to be gained from attaching a name/identifiable number to data in this instance, but much to be lost.
            ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Suefromwakey
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2019

Denise I told you to come and live in Wakefield,

Cynic Sue
              Husband Albert foot drop 2016 - diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

• denise
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2020

Dear cynic sue
                just packing. Make room for two more.
                Cynic denise formerly known as lady godiva
                when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Working...
                X