Motor Neuropathy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Neuropathy

Quick question following a debate...is MND also classed as/described as a motor neuropathy?

Olivia H My understanding is no, an MND can not be described as a motor neuropathy, but I am open to correction. 😏

The term 'motor neuropathy' is generally used in relation to a peripheral neuropathy, ie, to describe 'localised' damage to nerves, not damage originating in the CNS (brain and spinal cord), as with Motor Neuron Disorders.

Or maybe the term is being used to describe Multifocal Motor Neuropathy, a condition which does not involve motor neuron cells.

Clear as mud?? xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Thank you EllieπŸ™‚ that was pretty much my understanding too.
      Bit confused as to why I've just been invited to a motor neuropathy clinic considering it's usually the MND clinic I attend, for several years! Either an error or maybe they are just combining everything in one clinic/they are indeed on the same spectrum. May phone and ask on Monday out of curiosity!

Comment

When you consider that to make a diagnosis of MND it is necessary to test for everything else first. That tells me that even the health professionals don't know what it is. Just saying. πŸ˜‰πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ˜xx
        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Yes, I am intrigued tbh! x

Comment

Working...
          X