Keep Calm and Carry On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep Calm and Carry On

Out of nowhere I found myself barfing into the kitchen sink (and floor) loosing most of my latest pump feed. What followed was half an hour on the suction machine trying to deal with floods from my nose! This was all accompanied with a general feeling of unwellness. Now, an hour later, all is calm and meds have stayed down. Message here is one I have made before but it's worth repeating: No matter how bad something is, give it time and nine times out of ten it will be an unpleasant memory. πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ˜xx
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

I'm sorry you went through that mate and so glad you have your favourite bit of kit, the suction machine, to help keep you safe & alive. πŸ€—πŸ€—

Vomiting is one of the most unpleasant and potentially dangerous things that can happen to us. 😟😘
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Unpleasant is the word. Being unable to swill my mouth is something you don't appreciate until it happens to me you πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜xx
      Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Oh Matthew, that sounds just awful. Its good you're feeling calm now but it must have been hard not to panic.

So sorry.. hugs to you πŸ€— 😘xx

Comment

matthew55 sounds like you've been through an ordeal ...it's a good job you are able to stay calm.
          I've got Careline being fitted Monday just as a way of alerting someone I'm in 'difficulty ' whatever that might be. Although in your case you literally saved your own life. Thank GodπŸ™πŸ€—
          Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks ladies, but it's a learning curve. In the early days I ended up in Hospital. Panic kills just as certainly as whatever is happening to you. πŸ‘πŸΊπŸ€˜πŸ˜˜xx

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
              Unpleasant is the word. Being unable to swill my mouth is something you don't appreciate until it happens to me you
              It gets stuck in nasal cavities making breathing impossible, gathers behind the soft palate and everywhere in the mouth - truly unpleasant, frightening and dangerous with the bulbar impairment we have.

So, congrats on surviving the event πŸ‘πŸ€—πŸ˜˜

​

Comment

It is quite amusing when you blow out but immediately breath it back in. Without a suction machine goodness knows what might have happened. πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ˜xx

Comment

That sounds scary Matthew. Really glad you're OK now.
                  Husband diagnosed October 2020 with ALS. Started with foot-drop and weak grip/visible wasting in right hand. NIV and powerchair user.

Comment

Matthew that sounds terrible. Wonder what brought that on?

😘
                    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

I have no idea and therefore no way of preventing it happening again. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ˜˜xx

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
                        I have no idea
                        That's not great, is it. No nausea, it just happened? Thank goodness it didn't happen flat on your back in bed πŸ˜₯xx

​

Comment

I was trying to reach something in a cupboard in my kitchen when I knew I was probably going to be sick, and it was only 3 feet from the sink. I'd like to say I made it but a puddle makes an honest man of me. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜xx

Comment

Working...
                          X