Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellie
    replied
    Zante I think what you're saying is very relevant, fwiw.

The ECAS test is something we all do at some stage, although we might not know the name of the test we're doing, and it can distinguish between normal 'brain fog' and cognitive and/or executive function impairment. xx

Leave a comment:

• Zante
    replied
    And sorry Rosemary I am conscious this is of no help to you on your thread whatsoever!

Leave a comment:

• Zante
    replied
    Sorry, I meant that pls affects the cognitive function sometimes because I hadn't been aware it could also be affected with other types of mnd for example als. I thought it was only with pls and pma for some so wasn't aware it can sometimes effect people within all types of mnd. This has been very much a learning curve with absolutely everything since I first saw a neurologist in May and my brain can only seem to absorb a small amount at a time!! I am still trying to understand what translational means with the government funding and was too embarrassed to ask ! X

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Zante View Post
    Mind you I did read that both pls and pma can cause cognitive defects and changes so maybe its that part of the pls which differs.
    Yes, you're right, cognitive and/or executive function can be impaired in all forms of MNDs, unfortunately, but not everyone is affected and for some who are affected, it can be quite mild.

I don't really know what you mean by "maybe its that part of the pls which differs". xx

Leave a comment:

• Zante
    replied
    Mind you I did read that both pls and pma can cause cognitive defects and changes so maybe its that part of the pls which differs. Thanks though.

Leave a comment:

• Zante
    replied
    Oh thanks Ellie. That's now got me really perplexed as to what's going on! Sorry to invade onto this post... had wondered if it was same as Rosemary mentioned. Now I can only assume am just getting thicker as I age!!! Xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Zante View Post
    Could this be to do with motor neuron damage?
    Just to address that point Zante Motor neurons directly control muscle movement.

Any cognitive or executive deficit is the result of non-motor changes. xx

Leave a comment:

• Zante
    replied
    Hi Rosemary. I am not on Riluzole , and currently have a diagnosis of probable pls. I have definitely noticed some cognitive changes for myself, inability to muti task and this is basic things like reading a text and doing something else or even listening to something at the same time I cant focus on anything else, for instance cant look at something whilst chatting to someone or on the phone, struggle to concentrate on many things, and basic maths sums like adding subtracting on say a shopping receipt am struggling to do. Does this sound familiar to yourself? Is this what people mean with a fuzzy head? Am in 40s so dont think I can put this down to age!! Could this be to do with motor neuron damage? x

Leave a comment:

• Rosemary6NT
    replied
    Ellie wow, 14years is a long time! I guess you would have noticed an effect by now . Stress, tiredness and age are issues for me so I hope they are the cause rather than dead neurones . Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosemary6NT View Post
    Has anyone had this test?
    I've done more ECAS tests than I've had hot dinners 😏

Originally posted by Rosemary6NT View Post
    I've suspected that Riluzole might give me a "fuzzy head". Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Cant say that Riluzole ever gave me a "fuzzy head" Rosemary, but it did sap my energy for the first few months. I have taken it for over 14 years and I think my mind and memory are holding up...

Tiredness, stress and, dare I say ageing, are more likely to dull my brain I suspect.

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    I was on R for a few months and never noticed a difference. 🤗😁😀🤩xx

Leave a comment:

• Rosemary6NT
    started a topic Edinburgh cognitive and behavioural ALS screen

Edinburgh cognitive and behavioural ALS screen

Has anyone had this test? I asked for one as my head feels a bit "off". I'm finding decision making a bit harder (I always was a bit indecisive) and I'm not as good at thinking things through and planning (especially in bridge ). My results came back as OK with a couple of minor issues (not specified so will need to find out). I'm wondering if the Riluzole has any effect on brain function given that glutamate is the major neurotransmitter in the brain? I've suspected that Riluzole might give me a "fuzzy head". Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Working...
X