Then I'm definitely level five init πŸ˜‰πŸ€£πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    Thanks Ellie good point well madeπŸ˜˜πŸ‘πŸ»

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    For clarity, these are the 5 Stages of ALS and, as it's a clinical determination, we do fit into a 'stage'. It's so important to stress that, in our daily lives any stage, ALSFRS score, how long we are from diagnosis etc. etc. is utterly irrelevant, it's all to do with how we're feeling today. xx

5 Stages of ALS (3).png.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    These people who like to sound knowledgeable with medical categories and terminology. Mnd sounds the least likely disease to usefully fit into stages from what I can gather xx

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Linda
    I know nothing about the stages but I'd go with you're as old as you feel and as ill as you feel but don't let them make you feel worse. It doesn't do you any good so just ignore them and get on with living.
    love and hugs
    Denise xxx

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    MND is Stage 4, incurable and terminal.

That is why the ALSFRS is used for more information.

Matt's comments are pretty accurate and some of us do Stage 4 well, unlike this gentleman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WHSkbM9zAU

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    Ellie thanks for that....I won't dwell on it....I felt reassured by your post😘

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by LindaB View Post
    To me that sounds like the final stage however this doesn't really give me a timescale.
    The Staging scale isn't really rating survival but, if the Consultant is only now categorising you, well that seems to be unkind as, had you known about the Staging Scale from Stage 1, being 'suddenly' told you're a 4, has a shock value for sure. Seeing it in black and white in a letter with your on it must be 10x worse than being told face to face.

It's kind of the same as knowing the '2-5 years' typical survival duration, without applying it to ourselves... πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜šπŸ˜š

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    Thanks to all for your replies.

Deb I didn't feel it upsetting just wondered if it could mean yes stage whatever but this could be any amount of time...which Ellie summed up succinctly😘

Mary C yes I will shelve that thought and not lose sleep over itπŸ€—

Rosemary6NT thanks for looking and replyingπŸ˜‰

Suefromwakey through a series of questions the consultant identified stages...for example I was asked can you lie flat....asked about choking....turning in bed etc etc

Lynne K probably not something useful to know anyway 😘

​​​​​​​@Matthew55 stage 10 you've dropped off the cliffπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€—

Leave a comment:

• Rosemary6NT
    replied
    LindaB Being totally ignorant I did a little reading and gather that this is the "King's method" of staging MND based on the neurological regions involved. But as the symptoms vary in order of appearance and severity for each individual I don't see how it can be predictive of survival. Stage 4 seems to indicate nutritional or respiratory symptoms. I think Ellie puts it nicely, stage 4 can last a long time

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    Hi LindaB . I'm sorry that this has upset you. Its totally understandable, it would have worried me too.

I'm no expert but I've never heard of different numbered stages. My consultant says no one can predict the rate of progression or where MND might hit next. I wouldn't want to know anyway as my way of coping is to try and take one day at a time. It might be burying my head in the sand but I'm sure we all have different coping strategies.

I always feel worried about appointments because a remark can upset us but if you are concerned I would ask for an explanation.
    Love and hugs,
    Debbie xπŸ˜˜πŸ€—

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
    Well if you're level 4 I must be level 10.
    You're probably a 3 or a 4, but fear not, there are only 5 stages 😏😘😘

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by LindaB View Post
    I assume there are forum members at the same stage.
    I've been in Stage 4 since 2011 😏 😘😘

Leave a comment:

• Mary C
    replied
    LindaB
    Hi Linda, like you I hang on every word consultant says about my condition.It then could become a source of anxiety and ruin your day.After diagnosis when I was referred to the hospice I had a dickie fit as I thought that meant I was near the end of life.( obviously not as that was 18 months ago).

Never heard of stages..

You could write and ask him for explanation if it’s bothering you OR ignore it !It sounds like you are managing pretty well right now so maybe take each day as it comes.
    Try not to let this staging thing get to you but recognise in certain cancers there is a staging system.
    MND seems to be rapid,slow and everything in between.

Best wishes
    Maryxx

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    Well there are definitely numbered stages....however how useful that is to know might be questionable I suppose.

​

Leave a comment:

Working...
X