BiPAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BiPAP

I managed to get to the respiratory team at Oxford today and came home with a BiPAP machine to help with my breathing. What a relief! I’ll see how it goes tonight...
    Diagnosed 18th May 2021 with sporadic ALS. Limb onset. Terrified of not being able to breathe easily.

Rosemary6NT that’s good Rosemary. Good luck for a good nights sleep xx
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary6NT View Post
      I managed to get to the respiratory team at Oxford today and came home with a BiPAP machine to help with my breathing. What a relief! I’ll see how it goes tonight...
      Took me a few nights to get use to it....I took advice from other forum members (@Ellie) and rather than just use when going to sleep I went to bed earlier and watched tv with the mask on for couple of hours.

Hope all goes well....you can take your time to get use to it 😘🤗
      Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

BIPAP is the same as NIV I think.Hope it brings you relief.
        Best wishes
        Mary

Comment

Rosemary6NT Yes, I know you want to start using it asap but don't put pressure on yourself to use it all night from the get go.

Perhaps try it this evening watching TV for an hour or so to get used to how it feels, then try it in bed.

What type of mask did you get - nose only, one that covers your mouth and nostrils or one that covers your mouth and nose?

Hope it improves your sleep. xx
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks all. I think it will take some getting used to. The mask covers nose and mouth which is good for me as I mouth breathe a lot.
            Diagnosed 18th May 2021 with sporadic ALS. Limb onset. Terrified of not being able to breathe easily.

Comment

Rosemary6NT hope you had a good night with it. I would certainly prefer not to have need of one, but have got used to it and find it helpful. x
              Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

Heather R that’s good Heather xx
                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Working...
                X