Secretions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secretions

If it’s not too daft a question, does anyone know if Pineapple juice will thin secretions if it’s taken through the PEG and not the mouth. Just asking on the off chance it might work even through it takes a different route.🤔

Lizzie Yes, through the tube is just as good - it's the enzyme in the pineapple juice which acts to thin secretions, so how it gets into the digestive system is irrelevant. xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Ellie. 😊

Comment

It works with coffee and booze too. 🍵😉😊😘xx
        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Can I ask another daft question… does fresh pineapple work or is juice better x

Comment

Originally posted by Madge View Post
            Can I ask another daft question… does fresh pineapple work or is juice better x
            Madge, that's far from a daft question, it's a very relevant question because, whilst we'd probably think that eating the fruit itself is best, in this case, it's not.

This is because most of the bromelain (the enzyme we're looking for) is found in the core of the pineapple, which isn't eaten, but is used in the juicing process. You'll still get some bromelain from the fruit itself, just not a lot.

I imagine the fresh juices contain more bromelain than do the juices from concentate, and tinned pineapples contain none. xx
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

And on here there is no such thing as a daft question ❓😁🤗😍xx
              Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Thanks Ellie that is useful to know. That’s very true Matthew

Comment

Working...
                X