Pressure sore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure sore?

Sorry, me again.... I feel like a wally posting this, but here goes...

I have a sore toe. It's been sore a couple of weeks and is now dark reddish purple, hot to touch and a bit itchy. I googled and I think it looks like a pressure sore. Is that possible? Who should I check with? Can I just continue to ignore it? I'm good at ignoring things 🤣
    Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

Could it be a chilblain? xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I'm not sure - on one toe? It's my worst foot (worst area too) so wondered if the duvet was rubbing on it or something. It's only a toe, but sore!
      Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyLady View Post
        ... wondered if the duvet was rubbing on it or something.
        Pressure sores are caused by sustained pressure to an area of skin which can't be redistributed to relieve the pressure, so a duvet rubbing your toe wouldn't cause a pressure sore, but would feel uncomfortable on an already sore toe.

Yes, a chilblain can be on just one toe - I've had the one.

Ask your Community Nurse to check it out - better to be safe than sorry. xx
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

You should get it checked out by your GP, if your happy to wait for ages on the phone to speak to GP!!
          You could go and discuss it with a pharmacist they are usually helpful for advise. Don’t leave it, get it checked out.xx

Comment

Ellie - it looks more like a pressure sore than a chilblain, but who knows! I don't have a community nurse (as far as I know) so will check with GP or wait until admitted to hospice.

Piglet - the advantage of rubbish speech is I get an email address for my GP and no waiting on the phone..i'll email and see if they can help me out 🙂

Comment

TinyLady strangely I have a sore red area on two toes one on each foot (different toes). I thought it was rubbing from my shoes or a chilblain. Never had chilblains before so not sure what the look like but it is red, sometimes itchy and painful when I stand up to transfer. I too have been ignoring it 😬 ! A friend suggested it could be Covid toe! My feet are often very cold due to immobility so I think it is a chilblain. I will now be emailing my GP to ask!
              Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

Hi Tinylady
                I would guess a chilblain…I had one pre diagnosis and bought chilblain Cream on line which cleared it up.Suggest you get practice nurse or GP to check it out.
                best wishes
                Mary

Comment

Thank you everyone - I'll get it checked out and hopefully sorted!

Comment

My left toe is painful on occasions and my right toe gets pressure sore from a pillow. I must have been a monster in a previous life. 👹👀😁😄xx
                    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

matthew55 - mine is getting really bad. Hot and swollen too. I'm going to stop ignoring it and see if someone will check it. Probably nothing at all, but I'm so wobbly on my feet I don't want anything making it worse!

I must have been a monster too... I hope I enjoyed it and ate small children or something..... 🤣

Comment

Working...
                      X