No announcement yet.

Anti depressant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ellie I haven’t noticed any problem with saliva, the cough has been troubling me for some years and the cause never discovered​​​​​​. It has become more problematic since my diaphragm has become weak. I’ve just been prescribed morphine for my breathing but have only tried one dose so far. I didn’t want my head to become fuddled. At the moment I am relying my NIV day as well as night. I’ll try the morphine a bit more regularly x
    Diagnosed 18th May 2021 with sporadic ALS. Limb onset. Terrified of not being able to breathe easily.

Comment

shelly21 so empathise with you about those bad days. Do hope getting out on the wheelchair helps lift your spirits. I rejected a wheelchair because wanted to keep my legs going as long as possible, so use a rollator, but can't go far because of breathlessness mainly. You are making me think maybe a wheelchair would be really nice to get further, especially with hopefully better weather coming. Enjoy your ride! xx
      Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

Heather R I so agreed with you re the thought that by using my wheelchair i will use my ability too stand etc. I am doing twice daily leg stretches and I'm planning on walking very short distances just to keep a bit of weight bearing x
        Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

Originally posted by shelly21 View Post
          ... thought that by using my wheelchair i will use my ability too stand etc
          Shelly, I've been in my wheelchair full-time since 2008, couldn't walk one step to save my life (literally), but I am still weightbearing for transfers - it ain't over 'til it's over... xx
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary6NT View Post
            I’ve just been prescribed morphine for my breathing
            Oh good - I presume it's liquid morphine at a very low dose? xx

Comment

Yes liquid morphine 2.5ml. I've taken one dose today for hip and it does help. I'm on Mirtazapine and it knocked me out the first night but then last 2 nights been wide awake. I know I need a few weeks for it to work x
              Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                Oh good - I presume it's liquid morphine at a very low dose? xx
                Yes 😀
                Diagnosed 18th May 2021 with sporadic ALS. Limb onset. Terrified of not being able to breathe easily.

Comment

Rosemary6NT I'd say it would take a lot more than 1-2ml of morphine to fuddle your brain Rosemary 😉😍😘

Comment

Shelly, I've been in my wheelchair full-time since 2008, couldn't walk one step to save my life (literally), but I am still weightbearing for transfers - it ain't over 'til it's over... xx
                    That’s interesting, I can’t walk or move my legs so assumed I couldn’t weight bear… It would save a lot of hoisting hassle…

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary6NT View Post
                      I can’t walk or move my legs so assumed I couldn’t weight bear… It would save a lot of hoisting hassle…
                      It's not that long ago that you were using the Molift which requires you to weight bear - was that a struggle?

I am hoisted using a standing hoist but the sling only goes around my torso, so pulling up bottoms isn't an issue - it's a step up from the Molift, battery powered, so no 'lifting' by your partner involved. xx

Comment

Ellie

That is amazing to know. Thomas stopped walking safely a year ago but transfers still unchanged. Legs still 4/5 according to physio. We do the transfer tango together. Obviously carers would use the stand aid.

and Rosemary6NT maybe get the OT to try the stand aid with you, you have to be able to weight bear. But have supervision. Thomas my husband can still moves his legs (does leg exercises in bed) just his top half stoop, pulls his balance off. I am a trained nurse with lots of moving and handling experience. But 5 feet to his 6 feet so it is an interesting experience. We are both aware of the risk.

It is like a dance, I support one arm and move as he moves his feet, like a side step.

After realising that I couldn't support Thomas off the floor and 2 ambulance calls (they were lovely), plus the fear of him falling and breaking something. We actually use the commode/shower chair for moving from the bed to chair as new place so small.

Best of luck

Edit to add
                        Thomas diagnosed in July 2020 with MND of the fail arm kind
                        Last edited by DeeH; 31 January 2022, 16:04. Reason: Edited to add information
                        Donna

Carer for husband Thomas, diagnosed with MND of Fail Arm Type in July 2020.

Comment

Rosemary6NT I am experimenting with oramorph too. Have been offered a cataract operation next week on the 9th provided I can lie flat or nearly flat (trying to get the exact angle!) for 20 minutes without NIV (my under the nose mask apparently gets too near my eye). Oramorph helps, but I have to be alert to follow instructions. Xx
                          Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

I take 15 and stay non fuzzy 😁😜🤗❤️xx
                            Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

It's not that long ago that you were using the Molift which requires you to weight bear - was that a struggle?

I am hoisted using a standing hoist but the sling only goes around my torso, so pulling up bottoms isn't an issue - it's a step up from the Molift, battery powered, so no 'lifting' by your partner involved. xx
                              Difficult to judge as when Chris was pulling me up on the Molift I would sometimes swing to the left and would be unable to straighten my knees so couldn’t weight bear. When going up straight I could weight bear but only for a short time. My legs, arms and core are so weak. Amazing to think this time last year I was walking about thinking I just needed a bit more exercise. 🙄

Comment

Originally posted by Heather R View Post
                                Rosemary6NT I am experimenting with oramorph too. Have been offered a cataract operation next week on the 9th provided I can lie flat or nearly flat (trying to get the exact angle!) for 20 minutes without NIV (my under the nose mask apparently gets too near my eye). Oramorph helps, but I have to be alert to follow instructions. Xx
                                I had my PEG done at Oxford where they could carry out the procedure with me ina hospital bed tilted at something like 45degrees. This allowed me to breathe more easily. Do you have to be horizontal for the cataract op? Oh, just checked, I see you do 🙄

Comment

Working...
                                X