Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? Mnd

Evening all

Hope you are.ok. i wantee to say hi and provide my symptoms.
    i have had pain in my shoulder radiating to elbow and hand with pins and needles for past 6 mths
    Have went over on right foot 3 times.
    Also have chronic back pain and hip pain.
    Been seeing Physio and GP etch who thought i had problems with rotator cuff.
    anyway last week went to see specialsist physio re my back who examimed me and said i had very brisk reflexes and kept asking me if i had ptoblems with my swallowing , falling etc and she said i needed a MRI of neck and upper back.
    i came home put 2 and 2 together and was worried sick that i had MND.i did have somatic illness in past that mimicked a neurolgy condition and i kept thinking i jad mnd, i saw a neurologist then who carried out a lmp, mri, emg etc.
    Anyway over weekend i was worried i had MND again and decided to see a Neurologist privately He was very nice and polite. Examined me , agreed i had brisk reflexes but no other signs of mnd and advised i did not have to see him again.
    can i ask can he rule this out despite lp, emg etc?
    sorry about long post and all the best

Brisk reflexes on their own don't mean anything in respect to MND - you were examined by a Neurologist who found nothing of concern.

You can believe him and move on or seek a second opinion, your choice, but nobody here can disagree with a Neurologist who spoke to you and examined you.

Take care.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thank you and can i wish you all the best

Comment

Which country are you in?

You may be able to get a blood test to rule out MND.
        Copyright Graham

Comment

Uk

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            You may be able to get a blood test to rule out MND.
            Hi Graham (with the usual caveat that we cannot give qualified medical advice here) can you remember what rules out MND in a blood test?
            There was another recent post that suggested something that mimics the symptoms of MND had been ruled out because their creatine kinase levels were normal. My diagnostic blood work showed an astronomical CK level, and they quoted that as part of the evidence that I did have MND.
            I will ask my Neuro next time I seem him.
            Hi, I'm Eddie.
            Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
            Still walking and talking, and wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

Hi WheelsOfSteel High levels of creatine kinase in the blood can indicate muscle damage. It isn't a definitive test for MND as there are various things that could cause muscle damage. It can be used as part of the diagnostic process along with various other symptoms and tests.

Best Wishes

Rachel
              MND Connect Adviser
              MND Connect
              Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

Thanks. I would imagine if my neurologist advised that he was not concerned then he would have had enough evidence after examining me?

Comment

There is a blood test, an NfL test, which can detect levels of a protein called neurofilament light chain in the blood, can identify those who might have a neurodegenerative disease - what it cannot do is to say exactly which disease is present.

It's not a stand alone test but it's a very useful additional test for people with ambiguous symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeglas View Post
                    I would imagine if my neurologist advised that he was not concerned then he would have had enough evidence after examining me?
                    That is a question for your Neurologist - nobody can 'guess' anybody's thought process.

Comment

Working...
                    X