walking stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Alison,
    my wife has suggested a stick, just as support, but reluctant to give in, but I have decided when I need one it’s going to be a stylish one, more of a fashion accessory. I’ve always fancied the type that David Suchet Poirot has with a telescope in the handle ,
    s.
    As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Oh thanks so much Shaun, now there is an idea. My husband is a huge Agatha Christie fan, we have read every book and David Suchet is fab as Poirot. I will have to see if I can find one. Thanks so much for the idea.
      Carer for my husband who was diagnosed with ALS on 15.12.21.
      Trying to think of only today and tomorrow
      Alison ♥

Comment

I have looked at a cane with a silver skull on the top as a "fashion accessory" stick. Problem is, although I am happy to be seen with a stick I don't like way conventional designs support the weight on the palm of your hand. I use a trekking pole with a wrist loop and hang my wrist on that.
        I am also using a lightweight electric scooter more, since I still have just about enough mobility to get it in and out of the car.
        Makes me feel like a fraud at times. I have heard of so many folks who get injuries that put them in wheelchairs who will do ANYTHING to regain the ability to just stand on their own two feet again, while I am happy to hop into a chair when walking just feels too difficult.

Funny thing yesterday. I had to go into the office to sort out my medical retirement paperwork, and it looked like I was "jousting" by charging up to the lifts in my scooter with the walking stick held out to press the lift button.
        Hi, I'm Eddie.
        Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
        Still walking and talking, and wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel View Post
          I am also using a lightweight electric scooter more, since I still have just about enough mobility to get it in and out of the car.
          Makes me feel like a fraud at times. I have heard of so many folks who get injuries that put them in wheelchairs who will do ANYTHING to regain the ability to just stand on their own two feet again, while I am happy to hop into a chair when walking just feels too difficult.
          There’s no reason to feel like a fraud. You do whatever it takes to get out of the house and live your life. Even if it is jousting with lifts! 🤣😂🤪

I have used trekking sticks, my rollator, and a wheelchair as needed to get out and socialize. It seems quite silly to let pride get in the way of avoiding falls.

Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

Maria C well said. I'm 51 and I never care about using whatever I can to get out safely. I do understand but I've had some nasty falls and I never want to go to hospital re a fall.

X
            Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

[QUOTE=WheelsOfSteel;n77671]

"Funny thing yesterday. I had to go into the office to sort out my medical retirement"

I'm about to start that process ...will be interested to hear how that goes...👍🏻😉
              Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by LindaB View Post

"Funny thing yesterday. I had to go into the office to sort out my medical retirement"

I'm about to start that process ...will be interested to hear how that goes...👍🏻😉
                I am Civil Service - don't know about your good self.
                The first part of the process is a medical assessment to see if you are suitable for ill health retirement (IHR).
                You have to make a convincing case because if you go on IHR they have to pay your pension early, and they don't want malingerers making up phantom bad backs to get early payments.
                It did amuse me filling in the form - having to play on the terms "incurable, progressive and terminal" as often as I could .
                There was also a question about why you thought you could not work until normal pension age. I answered it saying my prognosis makes it questionable whether I will even survive until a pensionable age (believe me - I see the funny side).
                I backed this up with the medical reports from my 2 Consultant Neurologists who both agree on the MND diagnosis (dammit!).
                I reckon I've made a convincing case
                Hi, I'm Eddie.
                Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.

Comment

Yep I'm a civil servant...social work for a local authority. WheelsOfSteel

Thanks for the detailed response...😉👍
                  Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

I was was offered my job back but I decided that I wanted my last days to be free. Working on my soul not my physical life. ⚒️😉😜😁xx
                    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

LindaB I got everything from this site: Ill health retirement - Civil Service Pension Scheme
                      Hi, I'm Eddie.

Comment

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel View Post
                        Great. I think also if you have the DS1500 form that's evidence of terminal diagnosis...should make the process quicker....should👍🏻😉

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
                          I was was offered my job back but I decided that I wanted my last days to be free. Working on my soul not my physical life. ⚒️😉😜😁xx
                          I just felt physically unable to continue😒

Comment

Originally posted by TinyLady View Post
                            Doggymama - I was so reluctant to use a stick... but got bought a flowery one last September and got used to it. But didn't use it round the house and tried to manage.

Unfortunately I didn't manage well since Christmas and several falls (especially backwards which no stick can prevent) have led to me mainly in a wheelchair and with a stick with 4 prongs on the bottom. At 47 I felt really awkward at first... but due to my weakness and falling I ended up having to adapt (yet again!).

I really do hope you find a solution before falls become too much of an issue. I tried a rollator but was too weak to use it, but I prefer a wheelchair anyway.
                            How did you find the stick with four prongs TL? Am going to need something like that soon was it any good. I wonder if it would be a good alternative to a rollator.

Comment

Aidan in Shrewsbury - it is much less wobbly than a single pronged stick. There was an even bigger one with wider spaced prongs, but it was too heavy for me to lift. Ask your physio if you can try a few out maybe?

It is OK, I think it works well for me but couldn't use a rollator so can't compare. If going more than a few steps I need a wheelchair now. I like that it stands up on its own too xx
                              Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

Comment

I really wanted a sword stick...
                                Hi, I'm Eddie.

Comment

Working...
                                X