Before diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before diagnosis

I have received an appointment with a neurologist for March. I can't believe how much deterioration there has been in three months. My GP won't give me any pain med's until I receive a diagnosis. I have been taking co-codamol for muscle ache and stiffness. Can anyone recommend anything else please?

Originally posted by Cat lady View Post
    I have received an appointment with a neurologist for March.
    When in March? If it's next week, probably best waiting to see what Neurologist says.

Otherwise, you could go back to your GP - he/she can check your musle tone and prescribe an antispasmodic, if required.

"Musle ache" is a fairly generic, non-descriptive term - if it is caused by muscle spasms, heat, massage, gentle stretches and/or magnesium supplements may help. xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Ellie, my appointment is on the 10th March xx

Comment

Cat lady I take co-codamol and Naproxen.

But I also use heat and have a regular sports massage to control the tightness and issues in my worst affected areas.

Good luck with your appointment
        Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

Comment

Thank you Tiny lady xx

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lady View Post
            I have been taking co-codamol for muscle ache and stiffness.
            If co-codamol isn't effective, it's unlikely Naproxen will either.

The stiffness is most likely high muscle tone/spasm, and doesn't really respond much to painkillers.

Given that your Neuro appt is 2 weeks away, the GP probably won't want to go down the antispasmodic route as getting the correct dose can take a while.

If the Neuro notes spasticity, you can be prescribed as antispasmodic med, the most popular one being Baclofen, or if it's cramps, quinine sulfate.

You could try magnesium supplements over the next few days. xx
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. My muscles are sore to touch and it's all really worrying. Thank you again Ellie xx

Comment

Working...
              X