Mobility scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobility scooter

I was assessed by the local Hospice this week for a rollator or an electric scooter. It was decided my left hand is not good enough to use the brake so a rollator is not a good option. So i was advised to go to the local town mobility place to try out a scooter. My legs work but are getting weaker, my left hand is very weak but my right hand is less so. What are people’s experience of scooters? I want to be able to get out and about as the weather improves and go shopping etc.
    Bulbar ALS diagnosed September 2021, no speech, PEG fed, using ipad with Predictable to communicate, taking each day as it comes

We looked at scooters for my hubby but decided to go for a power wheelchair as more future proof. We also bought a WAV.

Comment

Thank you. What is a WAV
      Bulbar ALS diagnosed September 2021, no speech, PEG fed, using ipad with Predictable to communicate, taking each day as it comes

Comment

Originally posted by Hakuna View Post
        What is a WAV
        WAV is a wheelchair accesible vehicle: a car/van which takes a wheelchair with the person sat in the wheelchair, secured in the vehicle. xx
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

We bought 2 scooters - a travel one which I hoisted into the back of a car and one of the larger ones............the travel one sits in my garage not used and the larger one I sent to Charity - it ended up a total waste of best part of £3k,

Think Long and hard over this - once Albert couldn't stand,sit, or even side shuffle with a banana board on to either they both became defunct,

He was given an electric wheelchair - he's not even used it since last November as he no longer wants to go out - there again as he's losing his hand movement he doubts he'd be able to control it - at least Wheelchair services will come and take it away at some point.

Now we have a hoist I can see I would have been able to get him on to the bigger one but then again he wouldn't be able to control it now and it would have meant it coming into the house to get to the hoist,

Thats the reality of it for Albert

Best wishes
          Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Originally posted by Suefromwakey View Post
            Think Long and hard over this - once Albert couldn't stand,sit, or even side shuffle with a banana board on to either they both became defunct,

He was given an electric wheelchair - he's not even used it since last November as he no longer wants to go out - there again as he's losing his hand movement he doubts he'd be able to control it - at least Wheelchair services will come and take it away at some point.
            ⬆️ THIS!

I’ve had so many physical changes over the last year and a half that I’m very leery about acquiring equipment that could quickly go defunct.

My biggest frustration is that my OT wants to solve my current problem and can not seem to understand that my needs will change very quickly. The rollator she acquired for me was defunct by September. The transport wheelchair needs to go back now. It’s too low for me to stand up from reliably. I didn’t even bother implementing the changes she suggested to my kitchen organization. No sense in making things difficult for my husband with major changes, and I can’t cook at all now.
            Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

Thanks everyone for useful information. Today i went into town and registered with the Mobility service, borrowed a scooter for £5 and the whizzed round M&S which was great fun. I can hire one for shopping easily so am rethinking whether I will be buy one. We live in the country so using a scooter in our local forest would be a no no. My daughters are happy to take me shopping as husband hates it so for the time being I will hold fire.

Comment

Hi
                It's a tough one when you don't know how long you will be able to use. I'm on my fourth one now, although first was a cheapish 3 wheeler light use one, I've since bought better quality ones. Although sll have been 'boot scooters' I do get our on country footpaths, cycle tracks, woodland paths in summer when not muddy. My legs are very week but hands/arms fine. For me, they are fab, but a power chair may be better option for many.

Comment

My hubbie has a power wheelchair which he can no longer control himself so wheelchair services have just fitted an attendant operated control which means we can still go out and I can steer.

Independence (kind of) for a bit longer

Comment

Originally posted by MMG View Post
                    ... wheelchair services have just fitted an attendant operated control which means we can still go out and I can steer.
                    Did they mention head controls for your husband - not everyone is suitable to use them, but they do exist. xx

Comment

No, it wasn't mentioned. They thought this was the best option. Our house has some very tight turning spaces so perhaps this featured in their decision?

Comment

Originally posted by MMG View Post
                        Our house has some very tight turning spaces so perhaps this featured in their decision?
                        Hmmm, maybe but it would have been good to have been given the option or both - head controls for independent travel in outdoors/wider spaces, attendant control if he had difficulty in tight spaces. Head controls can give quite precise movements.

Anyhoo, given that some people have been refused attendant controls... xx

Comment

I’ve registered with town mobility service and have hired an electric scooter twice now for shopping. Great fun. I did back into someone in M&S and also took out the barrier outside Costa but nothing too bad. I’ve decided to hold fire on actually buying one for now. Thank you for all your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Olivia H View Post
                            Hi
                            I'm on my fourth one now, although first was a cheapish 3 wheeler light use one, I've since bought better quality ones. Although sll have been 'boot scooters' I do get our on country footpaths, cycle tracks, woodland paths in summer when not muddy.
                            Olivia it may be useful to others to summarise what you have had and why you changed.

To start I have two electric wheelchairs. The first is an Invacare TDX which rises and reclines BUT is far too big to use in the house. It was provided by the NHS with some funding from the MNDA. Which angers me. My consultant prescribed what I needed, I’ve paid a lot of tax in my lifetime but the NHS requires a charity to also make a payment. Disgraceful. Rant over until next time. Anyway I can drive from it in my VW Caddy which is a big plus.

I then bought a folding electric wheelchair called a Freedom A06L. I can take it to the town and on holiday. I have flown with it. No you silly B not in it but with British Airways. I have also taken it on a cruise. When I could transfer easily, or rather with a struggle, my brother in law could put it in the boot of his car and the four of us went away for a weekend.

In conclusion I do like my Freedom chair
                            Richard

Comment

Working...
                            X