Hoist on ceiling rails - any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoist on ceiling rails - any good?

We have an architect designing an extension with my accessibility in mind.
    The new annex will have a bedroom and a wet room, and he has suggested the hoist that picks you up, then scoots along on a ceiling rail to get you somewhere else (Wheeeeeee!)
    Anyone here use such a system? How do you get on with it?
    Hi, I'm Eddie.
    Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
    Still walking and talking, and wondering what the future will bring.

We haven't got that far yet but think we might have to go with the stand kind. Not quite sure what that will be like but have to say yours sounds like more fun. We have really high ceilings. I'd prefer yours. 🤔
    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Essentially what you have described is a ceiling track hoist. The rails in theory can run pretty much everywhere as long as they are level. Transitioning between rooms is also possible with some modification to the doorways.

Ceiling track hoists are generally safer to use than mobile hoists and can often be easily used by just one carer. The main disadvantage is that you can only perform a transfer where you physically have the ceiling track hoist installed whereas with a mobile hoist you have more flexibility as to where you can be transferred.

James
      Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

They're very comfortable and safe. I've used one in respite care. But, as James says, you have only a predetermined route.

Doug
        Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

WheelsOfSteel Yes Eddie, similar to Doug, I have used a ceiling track hoist in respite to get from bed to bathroom. As I sit in my chair all day however, when they needed to bring me to the loo during the day, a portable hoist was used because it was more convenient.

At home I use only a portable hoist and always feel safe in it.

Ceiling track hoists are good, yes, but, depending on the layout of your house, you may end up also needing a portable hoist - that said, you have the luxury of designing your quarters from scratch. xx
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

When we were assessed / surveyed for a hoist, the size of the portable hoist ruled it out. We have converted our dining room into a bedroom and I am in a single bed with hubby in a hospital bed. We could only accommodate a portable hoist if I moved back upstairs which he didn't want. OT thought quality of life was more important than accommodating the "kit"

We had to move beds around so that they were in the right position for the hoist, but it works well.

We have also had to change from the riser / recliner chair to a tilt in space armchair on wheels which comes to the hoist for transfers. Not as comfortable but we are experimenting with cushions etc.

A ceiling track hoist was unsuitable due to structure of house, (walls and doorways and distance to wet room via kitchen) so we have had a gantry hoist instead. The added bonus is that this is deemed portable equipment and funded rather than being classed as an adaptation which we would have to fund. So thank goodness for the structure of our house.

If building from scratch i can see how a ceiling track hoist from bed to wetroom would be preferable.
            Carer for husband diagnosed with ALS April 2021. Hand onset. PEG fed, completely immobile, communicated with eye gaze

Sense of humour intact throughout.

Sadly passed away peacefully 2/9/22

Comment

We have a ceiling hoist in our upstairs bedroom accessed by a through floor lift and it works well for the purpose it was designed for of getting me in and out of bed.

This is set out on a square ceiling frame so that it can move in both directions and covers the whole of the bed and some of the surrounding area

We can also get our stand hoist into a position by the bed to get me off it.

I do agree with Ellie that a free standing hoist is more flexible vis a vis being able to move furniture etc around but if you're sure you do not want layout changes a ceiling hoist may be good.

For us, coincidentally our OT seems to be thinking of funding a ceiling hoist downstairs as well (we funded the one upstairs ourselves). We are not sure what she has in mind.
              Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Ceiling hoists are without a shadow of a doubt the best thing we have bought. Although I have no use of legs and hands/arms are weakening I am still independent when going to the loo, and bed and chair. If you can, invest in hoists that go back and forwards and side to side. They are totes bril!!!!!!

Comment

WheelsOfSteel Could you go to your local hospice to try out the hoist there and see how you get on. I had the council visit to see if I could have a ceiling hoist. I have a new build house which is not suitable for a hoist. I used the ceiling hoist at My local hospice and I admit it was ideal and I felt safe in it. I now have a mobile hoist in readiness for when I need it.

Comment

Working...
                  X