Surprised at DWP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised at DWP

Today, I decided to bite the bullet and apply for PIP and a blue badge. I have been issued a DS1500 and expected to have to just send that in when they sent me the forms. Having worked for DSS a long time ago and read some of the horrors of applying for PIP, I was dreading it. The lady I spoke to was lovely and did my application over the phone and all I have to do is send a copy of the DS1500 and I will be assessed straight away. Same with the blue badge.

Somehow don't think the wheelchair assessment will be as smooth - apparently the referral form is pages long for my area and although it is done (the lady from MDA whoo I met at the hopspital last week did it), it could be weeks, I can see me having to look at buying one before long because my left leg is determind to have me on the floor.

Haven’t applied for PiP but have applied for a blue badge and got one very quickly. Was able to do the application online and apart from scanning stuff was a fairly painless process. Did not need a DS 15000 form for this.

Comment

The only things I can apply for are: free bus pass, I am over 66 (pension age for my birthdate), blue badge, - my consutat said he would support my claim, and Attendance Allowance. The latter benefit I doubt will be approved; it is based on personal care help needed only. Good luck with your applications

I thought DS1500 only applies if you are expecting to die in 6 months. I didn't know any of us had been given such a prognosis. I certainly have no prognosis at all.
      Mum died with MND in 1979 – My sister and I have a wonky gene, probably inherited from mum. Reckon my MND started sometime in 2018.

Comment

EvelynMW I have not been given a prognosis either, but the consultant said she would give me one to make claiming easier and quicker - my sister was offered the same last year at a different hospital on the other side of the country to me. I am 59 so now well below pension age so can still claim PIP

Comment

I am pleased to hear that, you might have years ahead of you then, we will all hope so
          Mum died with MND in 1979 – My sister and I have a wonky gene, probably inherited from mum. Reckon my MND started sometime in 2018.

Comment

As my son said to me, you may not be here to get the pension you paid into for years so get whatever you can that will help now. I would like to be around for a good long time yet but with this who knows so trying to make the most of things while I can

Comment

Karen62 Nice to hear of one DWP staff member with common sense and compassion πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜˜
              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Karen62 you can borrow standard wheelchairs from your local Red Cross, might be an option rather than buying one? Depending on what type of chair you need though.
                Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

Tabbycat yes the mnd care coordinator mentioned that today - at the moment I just need a standard wheelchair so I can go out more - have been afraid to walk too far even with crutches - a few years I tripped over a slightly raised kerb at school and ended up piecing my face with my glasses. To their credit, my six form students formed a circle around me to stop all the younger students starting. Don’t fancy a repeat of that that is for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                    Karen62 Nice to hear of one DWP staff member with common sense and compassion πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜˜
                    I was surprised too 😊

Comment

Karen62

Get a referal for the OT, your GP should be able to do it. For advice and future proofing.

The wheelchair services were great here. I got the impression that if you have a diagnoses of MND you get a power chair as standard (not certain on this). There was a mention that the MND assocciation had campaigned for this. When I thanked the guy, that's what he said.
                      Donna

Carer for husband Thomas, diagnosed with MND of Fail Arm Type in July 2020.

Comment

DeeH I am going to try and speak to the GP but need to wait until he gets letter from the consultant. I spoke to my consultants secretary this morning and they do mnd patient letters as a priority but are currently running behind πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Comment

Karen62

Hi

It maybe good to speak to the GP as soon as possible, they may refer you first before receiving the letter as to give them a heads up.
                          Obviously they refered you.

ie go on your current symptoms that are causing you problems.

As an ex nurse, you don't always need a "diagnosis" to access help, just symptoms that are causing you problems.
                          (I bang this drum a lot, currently have a friend having loads of issues but insists on waiting for official diagnosis of something.
                          Bloody don't wait, it is hard enough trying to get in front of stuff - steps off soap box)

It depends on the surgery.

The fact that you already have a DS1500 form means some doc has declared you have a "terminal" condition.

We didn't fill out a form for the wheelchair assessment, we were refered by either the OT or MND nurse not sure. I see they have done it for you.

We didn't have too long to wait.

Just waiting the level access door, which is taking months.

Our OT has been great.

Best of luck.

Donna
                          Donna

Carer for husband Thomas, diagnosed with MND of Fail Arm Type in July 2020.

Comment

It was explained to us that the DS 1500 meant that it was a "possibility" that death could occur within 12 months, once you have this form you should get priority for DWP claims. My husband got ESA (as he us of working age) within a week.

Wheelchairs and indeed all of community services treat a diagnosis of MND as a priority, as such a manual wheelchair was issued within a week. A powered chair took a bit longer only because it couldn't be issued until ramps were fitted. These were delayed due to incompetent social care financial assessment process. Took 12 weeks to turn us down for funding, I paid for ramps and powered chair issued a couple of days later.

Can't fault community services, not had to wait for anything, aside from lead time on bespoke items.

Comment

Working...
                            X