Quickie in the hedge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickie in the hedge

Well, today I finally was allowed out in my powerchair. They increased its speed and agreed I was ready to venture out locally.

So I took my first trip out this evening. Found a tight bend with a tricky camber, oversteered and ended up in the hedge 不不不

Oh, and where are all the drop kerbs?? I probably added an extra 10% travelling distance looking for drop kerbs! Buy so good to get out and move independently again
    Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

I never knew how bad our pavements are around here until I got a powerchair 仁
    Foxes Never Quit

Comment

Originally posted by TinyLady View Post
      ... Buy so good to get out and move independently again
      That's great Tiny - wishing you many wonderful miles in your new chair just avoid the foliage
      Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ooh, you posh city folk have pavements
        Out here in the sticks I have to go a mile and a half before I see a pavement or a street light.
        The "road" outside my house is a cratered single track lane between cow fields with a 60 mph speed limit.
        Hi, I'm Eddie.
        Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
        Still walking and talking, and wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

Hedges are no place for wheelchairs! I hope you managed to disentangle with no damage to you. But isnt the independence worth it?

I was taken out for a walk in my manual wheelchair. The state of the pavement here is horrible, but my husbands pushing of the chair is questionable too. At least the sun was shining!
          Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

TinyLady Its strange how life in your own powered wheelchair is very liberating but also challenging. You suddenly become aware of every drop kerb and steps into shops. Enjoy your new found freedom, its great. But do keep clear of hedges and your speed when turning corners

May I suggest getting insurance? Its about 瞿40 per year and most importantly covers you if you injure someone. The danger is someone walking out of a shop doorway not seeing you and you run into them. I use Surewise but there are other companies.
            Richard

Comment

Ellie - I'm really looking forward to being able to get outside again more. Although with no WAV I can't go far and still waiting for a permanent ramp....

WheelsOfSteel - Not sure I am quite counted as city folk, butcI do have something resembling pavements roubd here 不 Quite like the idea of farm tracks (but not in a powerchair maybe)

richard - thanks for the suggestion of insurance - I will look into this. Might already have suitable cover, but worth checking.

No damage done, lots of laughing so I'm counting it as a massive success
              Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

Comment

You'll be doing donuts in no time! 拎xx
                Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong xx

Comment

Originally posted by TinyLady View Post
                  Well, today I finally was allowed out in my powerchair. They increased its speed and agreed I was ready to venture out locally.

So I took my first trip out this evening. Found a tight bend with a tricky camber, oversteered and ended up in the hedge 不不不

Oh, and where are all the drop kerbs?? I probably added an extra 10% travelling distance looking for drop kerbs! Buy so good to get out and move independently again
                  Yay! Freedom
                  Diagnosed 18th May 2021 with sporadic ALS. Limb onset. Terrified of not being able to breathe easily.

Comment

TinyLady . I love the title of your thread.. if only ! Hope you've recovered from your time in the bushes!

We got my powerchair the same week we got our WAV. We came home from the wheelchair clinic and my husband held the door open. I ran over his foot , he swore very loudly ( and badly !) and he put his hand on the controls sending it into a spin, making me swear. The funny thing was we had some new neighbours who were coming over to introduce themselves.

Its amazing how quickly you get used to controlling a powerchair, however and enjoying the freedom. I hate being pushed in a manual chair or even my shower wheelchair now. Xx

Comment

Ive run over Phil a few times, not all by accident 打 and he insisted I put the dent in the dishwasher door 仄儭 x
                      Janette x

Comment

Nettie And he still married you 不不不 True love
                        Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                          Nettie And he still married you 不不不 True love
                          Oh yes lol 伐云 X
                          Janette x

Comment

TinyLady sounds like you have the same brand power chair as me - my very mature and caring friends take great joy in casting various aspersions about me every time they see it. I have to try really hard to make my words understood when I offer a constructive reply...

Comment

TinyLady yes your thread heading had me interested! Glad you're finding such joy in places after your very hard experience. You have given me motivation to go out in the electric wheelchair I have just been lent. Up till now I have used my rollator on the pavements, which is really tricky when the pavement slopes down towards the road massively. I think I will be scared of falling over sideways in the electric wheelchair. And then there is the problem of so many cars parked on the pavements round here. But sunny today must have felt wonderful, and the freedom. xx
                              Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

Working...
                              X