Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too late for peg? Is this it?

Hello.
    On Tuesday my dad (busbar palsy, diagnosed November 2020) was admitted with pneumonia.
    he is only 7stone now. They are feeding him with a tube up his nose but he has always refused to have a peg. I think it's too late for a peg now. His swallow is really bad now but up to this point he has remained eating. However most of it falls back.out or goes the wrong way...hence the pneumonia.
    He is still in hospital. At my.wits end.

It sounds very distressing to witness, and I guess not be able to do anything really to help, except be there for him. I wouldn't know the answers to your questions, but wishing you and your family all strength in this situation x
    Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

MW6 Oh, I'm sorry to hear this, you must be beside yourself.

The extra calories should give your dad some extra energy to help him fight the pneumonia, along with the antibiotics - I really hope he recovers.

Did he get a say in the use of the nasogastric tube (NG tube) ?

If he recovers well from the pneumonia, and he has changed his mind, the doctors should know if NG feeding will help him regain weight to have the PEG procedure.

Sending you love and hugs xx
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi MW6 I just wanted to let you know that we had a similar situation when I was looking after my mum. She was at an advanced stage of bulbar onset and, plus she was elderly and generally weak. She lost her swallow completely and had previously refused a peg but changed her mind. We were scared it was too late but she had the NG tube fitted and was booked in for a peg. With decent nutrition via the NG, she was fit for the peg op a couple of months later. It went well. She has passed now but the peg gave her the best part of another year.
        Hope it's not too late for your Dad too x

Comment

Working...
        X