A Day of ups and quite literally downs!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karen62
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2022

A Day of ups and quite literally downs!!

Today has beeen an odd day. Popped round to my neighbours and as I came out, I went down flat on my face: now sporting an amazing black eye and have broken my new glasses. But the upside was that I found out today that I have been awarded PIP at enhanced rates for both daily living and mobility which takes the sting of having to close down my little embroidery business which has been a useful top up to my small teacher's pension.

Tomorrow will be interesting because Neuro rehab are coming to visit for the first time and I look like I have been in 10 rounds with Antony Joshua and come out of it worse off
  • denise
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2020

Oh Karen I hope you have spare glasses. Perhaps sunglasses to cover it up.

Love and hugs
    Denise xx
    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

• Karen62
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2022

Originally posted by denise View Post
      Oh Karen I hope you have spare glasses. Perhaps sunglasses to cover it up.

Love and hugs
      Denise xx
      Fortunately I kept my old ones so can still see .... sunglasses sound like a good idea

Comment

• LindaB
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2021

Karen62 ouch sorry to hear you had a fall.

Good news though about PIP😉😘
        Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

• Tony
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2022

Karen62 So sorry to hear about your fall, it’s a constant risk and such a shock.

Do you have a blue badge? If not you’ll be able to get one now you have the enhanced mobility PiP. Very much worth having even if you don’t drive yourself.

Comment

• Karen62
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2022

Tony thank you and I am by nature slightly clumsy but it seems even more so now! Yes got my blue badge last Saturday - Cambrigeshire were even quicker than PIP and it's already proved to be useful.

Comment

• Ellie
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2012

Karen62 You're well & truly initiated into The Club now Karen 😍😍 (but don't fall again 😉)

Hopefully you won't be too sore tomorrow and, in one way, it's 'good' that the Neuro Rehab person/people will see you and realise just how easily we can fall and hurt ourselves...

Congrats on the PIP. 😘
              ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• TinyLady
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2021

Good to hear about your PIP. But not so good about the fall, that sounds really sore. I have managed a whole week since my last proper fall, so feeling really quite pleased with myself 🤣
                Diagnosis confirmed as atypical ALS Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now widespread. Powerchair user, useless left arm and clumsy right hand but generally positive!

Comment

• Deb
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2018

So sorry for your fall Karen62 . It really shakes us up mentally as well as physically.

As Ellie says it is good that your rehab team will see you like this.. even though it probably doesn't seem like it to you.

Take care and stay safe xx😘🤗

Comment

• matthew55
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2020

Sorry to hear about your fall. Much love and hugs 🤗🙏❤️😘xx
                    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

• Jane
                      Forum Member
                      • Jan 2022

Sorry to hear about your fall and broken glasses. Today I tripped for the first time, on a kerb on the pavement, but managed not to fall. Am getting to the stage when I think it's time to use my walking poles whenever I go out. My legs are definitely getting weaker. Any advice from anyone on here about when to start thinking about a rollator? And where do you get them from?
                      Diagnosed November 21, ALS limb onset, started in right hand June 2020

Comment

• Ellie
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2012

Lucky escape Jane!

Originally posted by Jane View Post
                        Any advice from anyone on here about when to start thinking about a rollator? And where do you get them from?
                        The 'when' to use any piece of equipment is quite subject: some people start using aids early on, others only when their backs are against the wall...

I started using a rollator as soon as I felt unsafe and actually, I could get around faster with one.

Your OT is the person to contact for an assessment. xx
                        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Karen62
                          Forum Member
                          • Mar 2022

Thank you everybody, eye looks truly grim today, but neuro rehab meeting went well, they have suggested a stair lift, half step for step down to the kitchen and a rollator. Also told me to use a wheelchair outside. Will be looking at buying an electric wheelchair because I am not eligible here unless I need an indoor/outdoor chair.

Comment

• shelly21
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2021

This makes me angry because you will need an indoor wheelchair eventually. I brought mine second hand. I had it serviced. Its a tdx sp2 and I only paid £300. It cost £4000 new.
                            X
                            Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

• Jane
                              Forum Member
                              • Jan 2022

Thanks for advice re rollator Ellie. Will contact OT soon.
                              Diagnosed November 21, ALS limb onset, started in right hand June 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X