Toilet issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toilet issues

I’m sure there’s been a thread like this before but I can’t find it. I was prescribed Docusate to help with keeping regular but its not very successful. I go from nothing for 2 or 3 days to a flood. Not ideal. What do others take to keep things going smoothly.
    Bulbar ALS diagnosed September 2021, no speech, PEG fed, using ipad with Predictable to communicate, taking each day as it comes

Hakuna It does take a while to find the right laxative or combination of laxatives and doses which give you predictability, rather than leaving you in urgent need of the loo.

I take Docusate nightly, which is a softener, along with Senokot, which is a pusher. Occasionally I take Movicol if constipated, and I take lots of water and have fibre-enriched pump feeds (I have zero mobility)

The aim is to get into a routine, and to stay in it, but it may take you 2-3 weeks to find the best dose or maybe a different/additional laxative.

Good luck xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Ellie. I didn’t realise that. In the hospice i had both a laxative and the docusate and that caused the same poo incident so they cut out the laxative. My husband ups the docusate when i have a problem which then causes the flood. Another discussion with the clinic.
      Bulbar ALS diagnosed September 2021, no speech, PEG fed, using ipad with Predictable to communicate, taking each day as it comes

Comment

The problem with laxatives is that people respond to them differently and you may find that you need a very small dose compared to the one that is recommended on the product, equally you may find some that are completely ineffective. As Ellie says it may take you awhile to find your best combination.
        Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Originally posted by Hakuna View Post
          My husband ups the docusate when i have a problem which then causes the flood.
          Ah, that makes sense, an overdose on softeners...

Maybe they'll suggest adding a stimulant/push laxative, cover all bases! xx
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I found Laxido has been good. I only take as and when required. My carers said one of their clients has half a sachet a day. It’s finding what works for you.

Comment

We use 1/2 sachet of Laxido mixed into a breakfast smoothie each morning which Andy can drink (or via PEG on iffy days)…. Seems to keep things on the right track!

Comment

Thanks people. MND clinic doctor going to advise me.

Comment

Working...
                X