Throat issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throat issues

Excuse the weak way in my explanation but basically when a lay flat my throat muscles seem to close. Last night I realised if my mouth is closed and I'm horizontal then I can't breath down my nose.

A long shot but does anyone experience this?

my breathing is still very good etc and I'm not on niv.

thank you.
    Last edited by shelly21; 12 April 2022, 14:55.
    Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Originally posted by shelly21 View Post
    Last night I realised if my mouth is closed and I'm horizontal then I can breath down my nose.
    🤔 Am I missing something?? I would have thought that being able to breathe through the nose is a good thing, or is that what you're saying, and that this then relaxes your throat muscles? Sorry Shelly for being thick...

As for the initial issue, my throat/neck needs to be supported by a pillow and be straight/unbent, otherwise breathing is more difficult, even with NIV.

I wonder would more pillows help? Have you any problem with holding your head upright? xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Sorry I've edited can to can't.

I feel my head is supported just feels like muscles of my throat close.

C

Comment

I find lying on my back even with my head on pillows that saliva collects in the back of my throat and i choke. I too can’t breathe thro my nose so i have to lie on my side. I think it may be that the soft palate is affected as part of the bulbar palsy. But I’m no expert.
        Bulbar ALS diagnosed September 2021, no speech, PEG fed, using ipad with Predictable to communicate, taking each day as it comes

Comment

I did think the same re soft palate. I also try sleeping on my side. X

Comment

I experience this too. I find sleeping with my bed or chair raised so I am not horizontal helps.

Comment

Thank you. I presume its my muscle weakness as my speech and swallow have declined. I find lying on my side it doesn't happen.

Comment

You might find sleeping in a semi reclined position helps. I’ve just taken delivery of a Magnar Handy Pillow Lifter from Social Services. Might be worth asking your OT or physio about. Link attached

https://mangarhealth.com/uk/store/pr...dy-pillowlift/

Comment

Tony thats a good bit of equipment probably cheaper than a hospital bed and more attractive! Hope it’s useful for you x

Comment

Working...
                  X