Wheelchair assessment update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair assessment update

I heard back from wheelchair services today after a lot of chasing by both myself and MNDA - my new power chair is being ordered today and I have been assessed as having a higher care need so will get a chair that can be added to. I know it hasn’t been so long as perhaps others have had to wait but, my left leg has pretty much given up on me and it’s getting harder every day to get around with crutches or a walking frame. I am no5 sure how long I will have to wait now but I feel like I have got over a huge hurdle today 😀

That's good news Karen, hope delivery won't take long 🤞🤞

Just a note to potential wheelchair users: the MNDA has done great work in ensuring people with an MND get a higher spec 'neuro chair' as standard, or at least should get such a chair.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Karen62 that is great news, I'm very pleased for you 😀. It is such a relief when these things finally start to fall into place.

I had my assessment for a powered wheelchair 2 weeks ago today, they were very non-committal as to how long it might take!
      Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
        That's good news Karen, hope delivery won't take long 🤞🤞

Just a note to potential wheelchair users: the MNDA has done great work in ensuring people with an MND get a higher spec 'neuro chair' as standard, or at least should get such a chair.
        Hi Ellie, apparently that is the type of chair I am getting.

Comment

Karen62 - it seems to vary enourmously, but whilst my care has not been great or timely in many areas, wheelchair services were really quick and efficient. It certainly helped that my hubby regularly encouraged them to keep chasing and sorting it.

I got mine promptly and has been invaluable since. Needed a few tweaks as I fell down the back of the cushion 🤣. Took about 3 weeks from assessment. They said they had the perfect one ready.
          Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

Comment

Great news Karen 👍
            Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Originally posted by Lcfcno1fan View Post
              Great news Karen 👍
              Thank you, I really wasn’t sure when they rang - they mixed me up with somebody else and said I couldn’t have one because of a previous broken leg ( I have never broken a leg) and when I told them this got told that I definitely had because it was in my notes! Only when I was adamant I hadn’t that they asked if I was … and gave me the name of the other patient which is a major confidentiality issue in my view. So in reality it was a very pleasant surprise when they told me they were ordering me a chair!

Comment

Working...
              X