Coughing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coughing

Hello all. My husband has coughed after eating for a few weeks now, but today after eating soup (no lumps) he coughed for 2 hours. He says he can eat and swallow okay if anyone asks it’s just this coughing. He has first appt with SALT on Tuesday but he will likely tell them he can eat/swallow fine. Is this coughing something we need to be concerned about? Xx
    Carer for my husband who was diagnosed with ALS on 15.12.21.
    Trying to think of only today and tomorrow
    Alison ♥

Hi Alison,

Coughing during or after eating is usually a sign that all's not well with one's swallow, so it's timely that he has an upcoming SALT appointment.

The SALT should carry out a swallow assessment - perhaps have him drink some water, eat a dry biscuit and yoghurt, feeling his neck/throat as he swallows - and not just take his word that his swallow is fine... The SALT can also give 'safe swallowing' tips.

In my own experience, it doesn't take much food or liquid stuck in the throat or to go down the wrong way to cause a coughing episode or it might be a single grain of pepper causing me irritation.

I'm sure he was exhausted after his marathon coughing episode but it's a plus that he has a strong enough cough. xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Ellie, he has just had his dinner and is in another coughing episode, he doesn’t feel anything is stuck he just can’t stop coughing. Xx
      Alison ♥

Comment

Originally posted by Doggymama View Post
        ... he doesn’t feel anything is stuck he just can’t stop coughing.
        It's not always obvious when food is caught, it depends where it is.

If something goes down the wrong way (aspiration), irritation can last for a while.

Tuesday can't come soon enough, at least he'll get answers as to why he's coughing 🤞🤞 🤗
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Ellie. You are such a help as always. It is much appreciated. Xx
          Alison ♥

Comment

Working...
          X