Scuba diving in a wheelchair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scuba diving in a wheelchair!

Just wanted to share this - a 9-minute TED talk highlighted by the Disability Network where I (used to) work:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWIGN3181U
    Sue Austin shares how she made a positive approach to a new life in a wheelchair (useful for all of us).
    The mind blowing bit is how she then created a powered scuba diving wheelchair.
    Some amazing film footage of her flying underwater
    Hi, I'm Eddie.
    Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
    Still walking and talking, and wondering what the future will bring.

Omg. That was incredible. She's just like a mermaid. I am so blown away by that, what an amazing woman.
    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

WheelsOfSteel thanks for sharing this. I love it when perceptions are challenged.

I'll be sharing this with my OT friends in education.
      Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

I'm missing something here, aren't I - what is the benefit of having wheels under water, they don't serve a function 🤔
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ellie for me it was the part about contrasting peoples attitudes/perceptions to someone "in a wheelchair" and feeling sorry for them; verses seeing someone "in a wheelchair" scuba diving, where their attitude is one of admiration.

The person is in a wheelchair in both scenarios but one is seen as to be pitied, the other is to be admired, she is questioning why there is a difference.

She is depicting it as visual art rather than, a commercial enterprise for wheelchair users who want to scuba dive.
          Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

It just looked like a bit of a stunt to me, but I'm a jaded old cynic... 😏😉😍

Comment

It's art.....which is always subjective 😏 🙄 😁

Comment

I get what you are both saying. I thought it magical to watch but on the other hand the practicalities of getting a wheelchair in and out of the water and the dangers involved, not that I've ever been diving, but I imagine it could be a challenge. She just looked so graceful and determined to break down all the barriers of what can be done. Dont really see why she couldn't just go diving but as I've said I've never done it. Interesting to see.

Comment

I did start dive training many years ago, and although I didn't complete it I have experienced breathing and floating underwater.
                  I am more of a flyer. I spent all my teenage years in the Air Training Corps, and I qualified on gliders and hang gliders.
                  There is a lottery ad on TV that shows a chap in a wheelchair that becomes a paraglider - that's what I fancy
                  Hi, I'm Eddie.
                  Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
                  Still walking and talking, and wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

If you fancy it you should do it. Look into it a give it a go. Xx

Comment

Originally posted by Tabbycat View Post
                      It's art.....
                      Ah, that explains it - I must admit to being a total philistine when it comes to the abstract art 🥴😵 😘

Comment

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel View Post
                        There is a lottery ad on TV that shows a chap in a wheelchair that becomes a paraglider
                        I know you probably don't mean tandem flights, but when my daredevil kids went paragliding, there was a lady in a 'wheelchair' doing a tandem flight.

Follow your dreams Eddie xx

Comment

My husband and I love to go diving, my husband is a wheelchair user (paralysed age 17) but he leaves his wheels on the dive boat!

Whilst I'm also a cynic, I guess anything that helps promote wheelchairs positively is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X