Stylish adaptive clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stylish adaptive clothes

I began having problems with zips on coats and buttons on shirts etc. I was a azed that all the adaptive clothing I could find online was very similar, if not identical, and not particularly stylish. Then I came across Tommy Hilfiger who have an adaptive range for men, women and children. It won’t suit everybody but it’s worth looking at. The coats have magzips so you don’t have thread one part into the other, making them easy to fasten with one hand; formal and summer shirts with dummy buttons on top of magnets; trousers with magnetic fastening on the fly and lower leg to ease removal. Even the healthcare professionals have been amazed by the styling.

http://uk.tommy.com/tommy-adaptive

Another problem was fastening shoelaces. Ibought a varity of elastic shoelaces online but the toggles were too difficult to operate with my reduced dexterity. However, I discovered Greeper Laces which turned out to be much easier to use. It will sound a bit crazy but you will need to look at the website to understand it properly. Whereas shoes are usually laced from toe to ankle, these laces are already looped and go in ankle to toe. To fasten the shoes you put fingers in the loops and pull apart. To open them there is a toggle but it’s operated by a long pull cord, which i found easy. I tried to lace them myself but needed help to do that. Again, healthcare professional had not seen them before and were impressed with them. They are available from various places online. They are worth having a look at.

https://www.greeper.com/

Oh I love Tommy hilfiger. Thats really good ideas. Re balance i wear nice trainer type with a alight wedge heel. It really helped with my balance. Also laces but a side zip meaning they are easier for my partner to put on for me.

There is a huge market there isn't there.
    Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

I've just bought velcro slippers and I'm looking at the same in shoes for Stephen.
      when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

denise I've been greedy and had 2 pairs😅

Comment

I got these from cotton traders at a bargain price of £13
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Owww shelly they are posh. What are cotton traders sizing like? I like there trousers as well. I was contemplating.... 😘
            when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

denise I'm a 7 and they are true to size but you can do returns easily enough. I thought they seemed a bit different x

Comment

I have to laugh. I am very petite (too short for most petite ranges). When I was pregnant I discovered you can only be petite OR pregnant. No clothes available for a combination... I suspect I can either be petite or requiring adaptive clothing.... strange no one realises that you can in fact be both 🤣 it is really uncomfortable to wear very much too large clothes.

Thankfully I will wear some dresses for the summer... but someone will still have to help.
                Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyLady View Post
                  I have to laugh. I am very petite (too short for most petite ranges). When I was pregnant I discovered you can only be petite OR pregnant. No clothes available for a combination... I suspect I can either be petite or requiring adaptive clothing.... strange no one realises that you can in fact be both 🤣 it is really uncomfortable to wear very much too large clothes.

Thankfully I will wear some dresses for the summer... but someone will still have to help.
                  I’m only 5’1 and get what you mean about petite clothing. I did by some magnetic jeans from ablelabel.co.uk but when they arrived the sizing was way too small size 14 fit my daughter whose a size 6 normally
                  Diagnosed 17/2/22
                  summer 2020 - Left arm onset
                  Jan 2022 - breathing now affected

Comment

Chelle73 - that's not good is it? Useful to know though because it is frustrating ordering things and waiting and not being sure of sizing.
                    Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

Comment

I recently tried a UK company called Kintsugi (Kintsugi Clothing: fashion for every body), who have a small selection of women's clothing, both easy-fasten options and wheelchair friendly ones, and with petite options. Their wool cape is quite fabulous, but I found the sizing of the skirt and the trousers I ordered rather odd - the hips fit true to size (same as my M&S size), but the waist was about two sizes too small. So only recommended for the extremely hourglassy gal...

Comment

Thanks for that info on sizes Peanut

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                        So only recommended for the extremely hourglassy gal...
                        Don't they know that bodies sat in a wheelchair all day tend to be less like Marilyn Monroe and more like Lady Buddhas 🙄😂😂

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ellie - I was just going to say that too!! Sadly my hourglass figure is just a large spread figure now. Sticking to cheap ebay dresses for now with expansion room 🤣

Comment

TinyLady I'll let you into a secret - I bought maternity leggings, sooooo comfy 🤣🤣🤣
                            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ellie - yes, bet they are comfy and easy to fetch on and off.

I'm not a fan of tracksuit bottoms but leggings can look quite smart.

Comment

Working...
                              X