I’m sick with worry, Experiencing muscle twitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m sick with worry, Experiencing muscle twitching

I’m 34 female with no family history if MND.
    A few weeks ago I started experiencing muscle twitching in my thigh, one night while sat watching tv resting I could feel and see it.
    since then I’ve been paying more attention to every little movement and have noticed several twitches sporadically throughout my body. Calf’s, thighs, sometimes my arm near the elbow and last night in my bottom cheek.
    they come and go but I feel them every day.
    I googled, and I’m now terrified it’s early sign of MND/ALS and I’m sick with worry.
    I don’t know why else I would start having twitches?! I did have Covid last month and was asymptotic throughout and the twitching started 3/4 weeks after covid.
    I have had bloods done and not deficient in Magnesium or potassium.
    I drink alcohol on the weekends and coffee daily, but always have done prior to the muscle twitching starting.
    I have no other symptoms but I am so so worried.
    im hoping talking to someone who knows more about this can help ease my worries.
    I don’t wish to offend anyone who is suffering with MND I just need some advice.
    thank you for reading

Twitching is very common.

Twitching after Covid is very common.

Originally posted by AnxiousWorrier85 View Post
    I have had bloods done and not deficient in Magnesium or potassium.
    You've obviously had a doctor's input - what was their professional opinion?
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Ellie.
      I haven’t spoke to my doctor about the muscle twitching, I just so happened to have some routine blood tests a month or so ago.

Comment

The advice is always to see a doctor if people are worried about their health.

As I said above, twitching is very common and, the more you watch for it, the more it will happen. Widespread twitching, such as you have, has many different causes including dehydration, fatigue, stress and other lifestyle factors, but we're not doctors so can't do much more than say to see your GP.

Best wishes.

Comment

I think instead of spending weeks and months worrying about the possibility of having something incredibly rare you would be best to make an appointment with your gp and discuss your worries and concerns. Your dr can then if they feel necessary carry out a neurological physical exam and based on that may refer you to a neurologist. For me twitching ( not much for me) didnt come until 18 months after having stiffness and lack of normal mobility in my leg and other changes in my mobility and everyday tasks, my foot didnt work properly, my legs went from being able to run 12 miles to not being able to run at all. there is probably an alternative explanation for the twitching, even stress can be a factor. Try not to worry and make an appointment to help put your mind at rest. Unfortunately the worrying is probably making the twitching worse.

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies I do appreciate it.
            I’ve called my gp this morning and they are phoning back today. I am just getting myself worked up, my left knee muscle went crazy when I was laid in bed this morning before disappearing. Then the twitching will pop up in another place it’s so strange.

Comment

Also I don’t know if it’s because I’m in a state of anxiety over this but I feel like my little finger is a bit sore on the joint when I move it, no loss of movement just a bit sore in the knuckle joint is this a sign?

Comment

AnxiousWorrier85 OK, I am sorry that your anxiety is sky high but please stop posting every little twitch and twinge you feel, it's just not appropriate on this forum when we're doing our best to cope with living with a terminal illness.

I truly hope your GP can help you.

Comment

Ellie sympathy please. We all start somewhere and yes we are all living with a terminal illness but rudeness I can't abide. There are kinder ways of putting it

Comment

AnxiousWorrier85 hey I feel for you. Please seek medical advice from a professional as that what counts. I Get you need reassurance but here is sadly the wrong place. You need to have a conversation with your doctor and take it from there. I hope you receive clarification and answers. All the best

Comment

Originally posted by Hairbsb View Post
                      Ellie sympathy please. We all start somewhere and yes we are all living with a terminal illness but rudeness I can't abide. There are kinder ways of putting it
                      If you think I was being rude, feel free to report the post. Please also read my other posts on this thread.

Thank you.

Comment

I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to cause any offence or upset anyone I am just in a state of anxiety and I can’t calm myself down and obviously looking for anyone to reassure me.
                        I was just wondering if people had muscle twitching as their first symptom? I just don’t know why else I would have twitching. It’s never happens before. It’s randomly popping up everywhere.

Comment

AnxiousWorrier85. You didn't upset me my lovely. Your doc will refer you if necessary. X

Comment

AnxiousWorrier85 Google is really not your friend if you have anxiety. Honestly, the first thing that came up for me when I Googled muscle twitching was Muscle twitches can happen for lots of reasons, like stress, too much caffeine, a poor diet, exercise, or as a side effect of some medicines.”

My first symptom was drop foot. Googling that will get you anything from a pinched nerve, all the way up to ALS/MND.

Please see your GP as soon as you can to treat your anxiety.
                            Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

Look we are all dealing with stuff and i certainly do not come onto this forum to hear this kind of unkind talk. A day after being diagnosed with a terminal illness .

Comment

Working...
                              X