X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denise
    replied
    Oh Doug
    dare I ask if you've had your covid jabs? Only what you went through sounds absolutely terrible. Think we all need to read this and realise we still aren't safe and need to be as careful as possible still. I worry, that Stephen is at day care, and how vulnerable that leaves him as I've done my best for sometime to keep both of us away from everyone. On the other hand if we don't see anyone it can drive us nuts. My daughter is a teacher and she worries she could be bringing it to us. But if I don't at least see them once a week what's the point of being here.

I'm so glad you are recovering because you really had us worried.

Lots of love and hugs
    Denise xxx

Leave a comment:

• Doug Carpenter
    started a topic Covid and aftermath

Covid and aftermath

Having jabbed in two brief posts recently, I thought I should dictate a longer post to fill in the preceding eight-week silence.
    But first things first. I was so saddened to read that Matthew had died. He was a great character, a one-off. He gave me many a chuckle. Still, his Hugs, Smile and Early Bird Club will stand as a fitting memorial to him.

Back to Wednesday 30th March. I had been feeling rough most of the day and by the evening my breathing was not very good. I remember discussing whether we should call an ambulance, which is what the carers wanted to do. But then I remember nothing until waking up the following morning in the Osler Respiratory Unit of the John Radcliffe Hospital with a consultant in full PPE explaining to me that I had been admitted with Covid. There began perhaps the most uncomfortable three weeks of my life.

I was hooked up to all sorts of tubes, leads, and IV lines and rendered virtually mute by a large full-face mask. I was isolated in a large, airy room on my back staring up at white ceiling tiles. All sorts of anti-viral drugs and other meds were administered and blood oxygen and CO2 were monitored frequently. After ten days I was pronounced Covid-free.

In the meantime an ambulance collected my electric wheelchair from home and my two Nippy NIV machines. On Monday, 11th April I was transferred to my chair, to come home, whereupon I collapsed with a respiratory arrest. I have no memory of this but they were obviously successful in resuscitating me and I spent another five days flat on my back in bed, during which time a team of nurses and physios practised transferring me to a stretcher trolley with the aid of a slide board, with the aim of discharging me on a stretcher. At the last minute, the stretcher idea was abandoned, and I was sent home in my chair, a couple of days after Easter.

I left hospital with no respiratory hangover but some rather nasty indirect side-effects. I had two screamingly painful pressure sores and developed a rash over most of my body which was attributed to an allergic reaction to one of the antibiotics. The rash faded after a few days, except for a patch on my left thigh, which lingered a few days more. This is now the site of a strange numb feeling in that area.

District nurses as well as my regular carers worked on the pressure sores which, thank God, have now healed. A bonus is that I have been given an airflow mattress.

The combined effects of isolation, immobility, and drugs played havoc with my mind. I virtually lost my powers of concentration and it has taken all this time to get back to anything like normality.

Thank you for starting the thread about Ellie. I was pretty certain I wasn’t the only one who loved her to bits!

Doug

Working...
X