Constipation emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constipation emergency

I'm past embarrassment these days, so I am going to put this here in case it helps someone else.

I knew my once regular bowls were getting issues about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Despite years of cocodamol I had a nice system that worked.

But 5 weeks ago it stopped working. I waited in case it was a glitch. I increased fibre and upped my usual remedies. Mixed luck. So 2 weeks ago I was prescribed a laxative on a low dose (Dulcolax).

I hadn't been to the loo for over 8 days by this morning. I had been away and eaten loads, taken my usual dose every day plus all my usual tricks. Nothing happened. No desire.

Until this morning. My stomach was massive, I was in terrible pain, sweaty, fighting not to vomit, breathless and exhausted. I felt terrible which is very unlike me. But I didn't want to make a fuss....

My husband eventually decided to side with my carer and phone 111. They debated sending an ambulance. My GP just phoned and told me to pick up an urgent prescription for laxido. 6 sachets in the next 6 hours, 6 tomorrow and if not back to normal or anything gets worse an emergency ambulance to A and E.

Apparently I am borderline for bursting my bowels. I have been told if the pain increases, my tummy gets any harder or bigger or I am sick then straight to hospital.

I tried not to make a fuss because I didn't feel anyone medical really took me seriously. But I am now hoping the prescription sorts me out in time. Please don't leave it like I did. No matter how badly you have been treated, if you get these symptoms, get help urgently:

Not passing any poo for several days
    Temperature and sweating
    Severe abdominal pain (back pain too)
    Sickness
    Sudden watery diarrhea
    Firm distended tummy

Hopefully I will be sorted in a few days 🤞
    Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

So pleased that you had the courage to post TinyLady I had a similar (but far less serious) experience. The Laxido worked for me and I now alternate between having a half sachet and a full sachet each day to keep things moving. Really hope you get relief from the extreme discomfort very soon.
    Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

Comment

TinyLady I feel for you! I have had some agonising time with constipation, and it seems almost a constant battle to get it right. Different medication affects it, how much you are moving, what you are eating etc. I use laxido when it gets bad, hope it works for you. Watery diarrhoea is horrid but at least it’s getting rid of some! Drink lots, and hoping it’s soon sorted xx
      Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

PeterPan thank you for onward dosage advice - that will be useful. Hubby just gone to collect it so hoping we can sort this out before it gets any worse. Totally gone off food now 😆

Heather R - it was severe pain this morning but eased off a bit. The watery stuff apparently is bad news. It means I'm totally blocked and that is just water squeezing past.... I thought it was progress but GP put me straight 😆 I'm sure it will get sorted. I should probably learn to make more fuss!
        Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

Comment

TinyLady i thought I was bad having sat on the loo for an hour and half trying to pass my poo 💩 a few weeks ago but 8 days of not going sounds horrendous you poor thing x I also have Laxido but take ad hoc which helps but I mix a juice with mine as I can’t stand the taste/texture x hope you get some normality soon xx

Comment

my gp wanted to prescribe laxido, but I bought Lactulose which was way better for me personally and is now on my repeat prescription.
            I know this is going to be dependant on swallowing capabilities... prunes do it for me everytime they have been a huge help. I began eating them initially for the antioxidants high content as numerous articles have discussed antioxidants helping to prevent degeneration, but they have helped in other areas! Could you use a food blender to make them easier to swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by TinyLady View Post
              The watery stuff apparently is bad news. It means I'm totally blocked and that is just water squeezing past....
              Yup, that has the wonderful name of 'overflow diarrhoea' and isn't to be ignored 😬 At least you know now and are warning others 👍👍

Originally posted by TinyLady View Post
              I should probably learn to make more fuss!
              Again, yup! 8 days!!! What were you thinking Tiny 😉 - you need to believe that you are important, you deserve to be listened to 💪

With all those Laxidos, I guess you're staying close to a loo!

Hopefully normal service will resume soon and you can see about changing your dose and/or laxatives.

Good luck 🤞🤞😘
              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

TinyLady I've had the overflow issue but not in the extreme that you are having. If I suffer I eat loads of dried cranberries that are full of fibre and it works for me. My dad suffers and he needs a suppository and he says works very quickly.

Good luck xx
                Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

TinyLady oh yes thanks for the info about watery diarrhoea! X
                  Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

Thank you all for the supportive messages. My appetite and swallow are not good, so prunes and cranberries not too tempting, but maybe prune juice. In the past I never had a problem. I just thought it would sort itself out! But hopefully I can educate others not to be as daft as me.

The pain is still not good and first couple of doses of Laxido are in....

Hopefully good news soon and a maintenance dose found so this never happens again.

(I really must look after myself better)

Comment

TinyLady I wonder if a heat pack or hot watter bottle on your tummy would help?

When you're finally on the loo, raise your knees by popping them on a little step or stool (no pun intended), it makes it a bit easier to go and I know you're no 6 footer 😉 - I use a kid's bathroom step. xx
                      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Us warriors have so much to think about and change from our usual routines … it’s difficult to make those changes permanently. We mustn’t be too hard on ourselves. We all make mistakes along the way and drag our heels… I know I do !!
                        take care all.

Comment

[Dictated]

Bless you, Tinylady, for posting this thread. It was like reading my own recent medical file.

The constipation got so bad that the duty GP at my surgery was here within three hours of a phone call!

I made the mistake of thinking that the very watery mucus was not serious. It is! PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T IGNORE IT. As posted earlier it is a true sign of overflow diarrhoea. It's the water beginning to overtop the dam.

Laxido works but you may have to increase the dose to make sure you clear out everything before starting again.

Good luck!
                          Doug

Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

Ellie - yes, got my trusty wheat bag on my tummy. My back is really hurting too. Four of the six doses taken but I'm still a "waterfall" - persevering.... when the time comes I will remember your knees up advice... but no sign yet 😆

Madge - thank you for your kind words. I'm terrible for thinking it will be a nuisance or annoying people if I make a fuss or insist I am taken seriously... but sadly my gut is right every time.

Doug Carpenter glad my post will be helpful to others. Sad things have to get so bad before we are helped to find good solutions though.... I hope you are feeling much better? I'm on a massive dose of laxido until normality returns, then hopefully I can find a regular approach with much less drama....

I will let you all know when I finally make some progress!

Comment

TinyLady So glad to hear that you are getting taken seriously. Next time please make a fuss before things get bad. We have enough to deal with without almost bursting a bowel.
                              Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

Working...
                              X