No announcement yet.

Side sleeper & niv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started using my NIV a few weeks ago. I sleep on my side, always have. The machine is on my bedside table so sleep on my left side. I got used to it straight away. As long as it is fitted on my face properly, I find the rhythm soothing. But the longest I have slept with it on is 6 hours. Once I wake up and need a drink , I am usually too tired to put the mask back on. Don’t want to wake hubby up .

Comment

LesleyB are you finding it helpful?
      Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyB View Post
        Once I wake up and need a drink , I am usually too tired to put the mask back on.
        Lesley, may I ask if you need a drink because your mouth is very dry due to NIV or are you plain thirsty?

If NIV causes a dry mouth, using a humidifier could make a huge difference, and let you sleep using NIV for longer. xx
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Not sure, I only really have a few sips.Humidifier is on its way. My nurse at the sleep centre in Leeds is very helpful.

Comment

Hi, Shelly, I started using the NIV because my overnight Oxygen levels were causing a slight sleep apnea. I think I am starting to feel a bit brighter in the morning. Especially if I can manage to keep it on until the morning. It certainly helps me get straight to sleep.No tossing and turning, mask on , into the rhythm and out . Unfortunately at the moment it is my hubby who isn’t sleeping. He sleeps in our spare room , so I have more space . He takes me to the toilet in the night , then struggles to get back to sleep. So he is exhausted in the morning and I want to get up.

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyB View Post
              Humidifier is on its way.
              That's great to hear Lesley, hopefully that's the answer 🤞🤞 and remember that the humidity of the water can be increased and decreased on most machines if you find the air is still too dry or too moist. xx
              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Lesley thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry its hard on your partner.

I sleep reasonably well. This is due to meds that promote sleep.

I used to suffer with sleep apnea and basically I've been told its only slight changes.

I'm trying to stay positive that it will be a benefit x
                Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

Working...
                X