Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neck support when travelling

Hi all,

I am after any advice that any of you may have regarding supporting your neck whilst travelling, specifically, in a power chair and in the back of a wheelchair adapted vehicle. As my neck has got weaker I am finding it more difficult to put up with the bumps in the road and the forwards and backwards motions of the vehicle. I am putting quite a lot of effort into keeping my head against the powerchair headrest and this is really tiring my neck out.

I am going to give my neck collar a try to see if that improves things but I wondered if any members had already encountered this problem and had any solutions or ideas that may help?

James x
    Foxes Never Quit 💙

Can you use the tilt-in-space option on your chair, whilst in the car?
    Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

Do you wear any neck brace James? If you don’t, your OT should assess you in the first instance.

I wear a rigid cervical collar in the car and, for longer journeys, I sometimes use a forehead strap (around the headrest) for extra support. xx
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabbycat View Post
        Can you use the tilt-in-space option on your chair, whilst in the car?
        Hi Tabs, if I tilt back the problem is actually worse as my head bounces up and down off the headrest which can be quite painful 😕
        Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
          Do you wear any neck brace James? If you don’t, your OT should assess you in the first instance.

I wear a rigid cervical collar in the car and, for longer journeys, I sometimes use a forehead strap (around the headrest) for extra support. xx
          I will give my OT a shout….. i’ll get him to add it to his list 😘😘

I already have a Sheffield collar and a soft collar for when I’m on my commode chair…. But I don’t have anything rigid
          Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Originally posted by Lcfcno1fan View Post
            But I don’t have anything rigid
            😊

This is mine - good support yet I can still turn my head:

Ortel C3.jpg

Comment

😊

This is mine - good support yet I can still turn my head:

Ortel C3.jpg
              Thanks Ellie 😘😘😘
              Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Not travelled in my wheelchair yet but I can see the problem. I tend to sit in the front passenger seat and while I have worn a neck brace I find the best solution is a soft cushion behind my neck. Takes a bit of experimenting to get it r though. Like the look of Ellie’s neck brace.

Comment

James, I tried a Savant headrest on my wheelchair a good while ago. It cradles the head and has a forehead strap as an accessory, if required, although I just got the headrest.

It was very good for holding the head in place but I didn't like it because I couldn't turn my head much - it might suit plenty of other, less nosy, people.

image.png

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                    Like the look of Ellie’s neck brace.
                    It's an Ortel C3 collar Tony, works well for me. I do need to pad my collar bones though, small price to pay. xx

Comment

James, I tried a Savant headrest on my wheelchair a good while ago. It cradles the head and has a forehead strap as an accessory, if required, although I just got the headrest.

It was very good for holding the head in place but I didn't like it because I couldn't turn my head much - it might suit plenty of other, less nosy, people.

image.png
                      This looks really snazzy, although I failed to mention that i use head controls on my head rest so I’m a bit stuck with the actual choice of headrest ☺️
                      Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Originally posted by Lcfcno1fan View Post
                        I’m a bit stuck with the actual choice of headrest
                        Ah, I see. xx

Comment

My husband Andy was really starting to struggle with his head/neck bouncing about when in the power chair in the rear of the WAV. He used a soft collar for a while but that started to cause more difficulties than helped. We’ve ended up attaching a wide soft headband onto the stem of his headrest with some elastic so that it holds his head reasonably firmly in place but still enables him to move forward if he needs to swallow/gulp/ etc. works a treat at the moment. Love to you all xxx

Comment

Thank you AngelaR
                            Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Working...
                            X