NIV settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NIV settings

For those of you with an NIV can you tell me what setting you are on. I’m on 17 and I think I need to increase it but not sure how high it goes. ( will obviously not do anything till I’ve spoken to nurse)

Yes I too am trying to find the most suitable setting. At the moment I am on 16 for my bedside ventilator, and 17 for the sitting room one which I am now using when someone visits, and I need more energy to type on my voice app, etc. my respiratory physio sent me instructions how to alter the settings. But you are best advised by your own advisors. Hope you can get some good help, and am interested in what you are advised and how you get on x
    Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

Sarahw It may not be the IPAP setting which needs to be tweaked, it might be the back-up rate or inspiratory time, for example, or the operating mode.

The relationship between IPAP & EPAP is important also as it determines tidal volume - if IPAP changes, often EPAP does too. My IPAP goes up to 40, think that’s pretty standard. Also, don’t assume you need to increase it, sometimes it needs to be decreased.

You could ask for an overnight pulse oximetry test, actually, if you feel you're uncomfortable on NIV settings, I’d definitely ask for the test. xx
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
      X