Heavy chest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy chest

Looking for advise. Especially those with bulbar onset & those on cpap.
    this week I'm nursing a chest infection. I'm now managing to start clearing my chest.

However when I lay back on my propped up pillows, my chest feels very heavy. my arms are both loosing strength. Its like someone sitting on my chest.

I know you guys are not doctors but wanted to see if this sensation is normal when chest muscles weaken x
    Last edited by shelly21; 3 August 2022, 18:34.
    Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Originally posted by shelly21 View Post
    Especially those with bulbar onset & those on cpap.
    Its like someone sitting on my chest.
    I hope your NIV machine is in BiPAP mode, not CPAP 🤔

My lung function is very poor and the only time I feel a weight on my chest is when my intercostal muscles are in spasm - it doesn't make much of a difference if onset is bulbar or limb, it's more about lung function and muscles involved in breathing - but for me, apart from those occasions, my chest feels normal, it just doesn't work (can't blow out, suck in air, hold my breath etc)

Is this only since/with the chest infection? xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

shelly21 oh Shelly that sounds awful for you. Are you taking antibiotics, I hope you are, and perhaps if you still feel this heavy sensation maybe the antibiotics need changing. Hope you feel better very soon.xx

Comment

Piglet yes started antibiotics yesterday. I think I kept putting it off when I really should've let my other half phone the g.p.

I also didn't keep up my nebulizer. Not sleeping well and just not looking after myself.
        but I'm back on it and hoping its tight muscles from coughing.

X

Comment

Ellie sorry I just call breathing machine n.i.v but trying to be clever....fail lol.

Yes since the chest infection. Its all happened at once. Speak very poor and swallow then poor cough. X

Comment

Oh shelly21 that sounds so scary and horrible.

Im not sure if it's relevant to you but after I had covid I had a tight, painful and heavy chest from coughing .I was struggling to catch my breath and it made me sick. I don't use NIV. I was convinced it was MND related so saw the respiratory consultant at clinic but after tests he felt it was because of rhe infection.

Love and hugs to you xxx

Comment

Originally posted by shelly21 View Post
              Yes since the chest infection. Its all happened at once. Speak very poor and swallow then poor cough.
              I just hope once those antibiotics kick in and your chest clears that the speech, swallow and cough recover somewhat 🤞🤞

It worried me that you said you use "CPAP" - is your NIV definitely set up with different a breathing in figure to your breathing out figure? (Shown onscreen as IPAP & EPAP) It's just that people with ALS shouldn't use CPAP, but bilevel NIV - sorry for getting all technical... xx
              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Has anyone listened to your chest Shelly? Definitely the route I'd be going down. Take care xxxx

Comment

Also we have been going even a number that bypasses 111, it puts us through to the out of hours doctors receptionists. To save time and harassment I suppose

Comment

Music man's wife the physio came yesterday and heard it. She asked me to call g p so i did.

Ellie it does show ipap. Tbh Ellie I'm impressed that I can still eat and speak. I'm just over 3 years re my first symptoms (slurred speech) I know now that I need to prevent aspirations. I've been making protein shakes and fruit smoothies and I hope tonight i can keep on my niv. I was doing well then 10 days ago I was waking up and snatching the mask off. X

Comment

Deb and Ellie I've just looked up intercostal muscles and yes I have been coughing lots.

Thank you everyone. X

Comment

Sorry you're struggling shelly21​​​​​ it sounds like you've been doing well with still having speech and swallow 3 years after first symptoms.. I hope the antibiotics start working and things improve for you x

Comment

Are you feeling and better today xxx

Comment

shelly21sending prayers and love 💕 hoping this chest infection clears up asap!
                            It sounds like maybe the choking episode from earlier triggered the infection?
                            Thinking of you 😢

Comment

AngieCanuck I think so. At first it was horrid glue type and hard to shift then the infection.
                              Music man's wife I had a much better night's sleep last night and actually stayed on my n.i.v for 6 hrs without coughing. Result x

Comment

Working...
                              X