Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PEG - experiences and practicalities regarding hiatus hernia and GORD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PEG - experiences and practicalities regarding hiatus hernia and GORD?

Anybody have direct experiences around PEG and hiatus hernia and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease?

Are there practical limitations or additional considerations?
    2020: odd symptoms. Nov 2021: Hand atrophy.. Mar 2022: Second arm atrophy - "Interim diagnosis limb onset ALS." Confirmed Sep 2022: MND.
    Also Crohn's Disease from 2005ish. (Hi, I'm Dan in Cheshire)...

My husband has a hiatus hernia which has caused problems on and off for years. It hasn't been an issue for a while ( don't know if they can heal themselves???? ) Having a PEG ( Nov 2021) hasn't caused any issues in respect of that. Of the hernia is in need of repair, I wonder if they could do it at the same time?

No experience of reflux so can't help on that one.

Carer for husband diagnosed with ALS April 2021. Hand onset. PEG fed, completely immobile, communicates with eye gaze.

Respiratory function - CO² Up

No speech but sense of humour still fully intact.

Comment

Morning Arcadian You're wise to raise this issue in advance.

If the hiatus hernia were or acid reflux were to impact on your suitability for a standard feeding tube, there are 'gastric-jejunal' tubes which might be the solution - of course a gastroenterologist will advise the best course of action, especially given your GI issues.

I knew one person who had a GJ tube. xx
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
      X