Transfer from wheelchair to toilet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer from wheelchair to toilet

Up until now my husband has lifted me, held me up with one arm and pulled down my leggings and pants with the other hand then put me down on the toilet. Opposite process when finished. Recently my weakened core muscles mean I am falling out of his arms and we need some kind of hoist. However, the two I have had so far from OT have a harness which makes getting clothes off and on impossible.

anyone had similar problems and know a solution?

You obviously have enough strength in your legs to stand with support, Louise - do you have a sit-to-stand hoist or a full/passive hoist?

I have a sit-to-stand hoist and a sling similar to this:

image.png

If you have a full hoist, there are 'toileting slings', open underneath so it need not be removed. Dressing and undressing can be a bit of a palaver, but possible, especially if you can shift your weight. xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thank you Ellie. Toileting sling sounds like the answer. I will work on that.

Comment

Hi LouiseRaymakers,

I'm not sure about your arm strength but I manage to transfer sideways from wheelchair to toilet even though I have no movement at all in my legs. My core muscles and arms are weakening and I need hubby to move my legs. We do have a portable hoist in case of a bad day but we're managing for now.

Suitable clothes are such a problem. I tend to wear dresses and minimal ( if any !!!) Knickers. I have got some side fastening ones. i used to live in jeans and leggings but they are too hard to put on and off.

Love Debbie xx😘🤗

Comment

Hi Louise. I’m afraid I gave up on underwear a few years ago. Leggings n knickers were just not worth the effort. I use a toilet ing sling and just live in dresses. For hygiene purposes I sit on a flannel which I change daily in lieu of knickers. Comfort wins out every time!

Comment

I do not have much strength in my legs anymore. In the house I sit in a recliner chair. We have a commode chair that goes over the toilet.So I stand using the recliner , shuffle around onto the seat. Then in the toilet, I stand using my frame , just briefly so dress up , pants down. Same in reverse. Using a disabled toilet , when our has got harder. The pull down arms are no use to me, as tend to be too high. I only wear dresses now.

Comment

LesleyB Loath though I am to mention it 😬 a stand aid or, better still, a standing hoist, is a safer option once going to the loo becomes an onerous and precarious chore, which might not be today, tomorrow or next week - I'm not saying that you need one...

It's a horrible suggestion - I know, I've been though it - and it takes away independence but gives reliable safety.

Love Ellie xx
              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Like you LesleyB I have no strength in legs and arms getting weaker. I only wear dresses now and no knickers 😜 my husband has to help me out of my recliner chair onto the commode. I just hate asking to go to the loo hey ho x

Comment

Following this thread with interest as I dread the day that toilet transfers become an issue
                  At the moment I am mobile enough to move and transfer independently, but it's a different ball game for us chaps as I am bigger and heavier than my wife if I ever need assistance.
                  Speaking of "ball game" the wedding tackle can need some adjustment after taking a seat - another tricky service to provide...
                  You ladies "going commando" in a loose dress seem to have a good solution. Not that I'm jealous
                  Hi, I'm Eddie.
                  Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
                  Full time powerchair user. Overnight NIV. PEG'ed but still eating. Voice banked but still talking.
                  Still wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

I feel the same , asking to go to the loo. I used to go a lot even when I was fit and well. But all the drinking we have to do, makes it worse.I am really struggling when we go out now. I can’t get out of my wheelchair, to use any of the various handles etc in a disabled toilet. My hubby can lift me and transfer me but dress up / pants down is hard. Today we went out for lunch and my friend came in the loo too to help! When we came out there was a bit of a queue, goodness knows what people thought was going on.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting that a few of you are wearing dresses. How do you keep warm?

Comment

We initially used a Molift (i only know it by the brand name) once the leg strength went it was a hoist into a shower chair which fits over the loo. Then back to hoist to bed to hoist to armchair. So trips to the loo were no longer quick!!!!
                        Carer for husband diagnosed with ALS April 2021. Hand onset. PEG fed, completely immobile, communicated with eye gaze

Sense of humour intact throughout.

Sadly passed away peacefully 2/9/22

Comment

MMG that is my concern re what you explain. Hard work for our partners.
                          Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

Keeping warm? I found some woolly footless long socks ( come high up on thigh) and found them really useful when going out. They don’t impinge on toilet trips either! I’m sure they have a proper name! Also for being in a wheelchair, I found a short cape that my husband just slips over my head. Saves trying to tuck things under me!

Comment

Originally posted by LouiseRaymakers View Post
                              Thanks for all the replies. Interesting that a few of you are wearing dresses. How do you keep warm?
                              I tend to wear pashmina type wraps with dresses as they are easy to get on and off... I have every colour much to hubby's dismay as he never knows which one to get! I can't wear shoes so I wear pull up stockings.. Not sexy though as often wear with men's wooly socks x🤣😘

Comment

Working...
                              X