Uncomfortable arms - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncomfortable arms - advice needed

Hello, I am Phil, my wife was diagnosed at the end of May this year (2022) with MND and her condition is progressing rapidly. Over the past few days she has been uncomfortable with tingling in both of her arms, mainly in her left hand, so much she cant sleep. She keeps complaining that her fingers are sticky/clammy (but they're not), I have used talcum powder which she finds helpful but she cant get her arm comfortable. There is no pain as such, she describes it as "discomfort" similar to nettle stings. But it's leaving us both exhausted and my wife extremely tearful as there seems to be no way to stop it happening day & night. Our palliative care consultant and GP have prescribed various medications, including Baclofen, Oramorph and Pregabalin, but they either don't work or leave her feeling extremely drowsy. I would really appreciate any advice you may have.

Radar 22 You posted a very similar post two weeks ago Phil, did you get to read the replies?

Often it's because the wrist or lower arm is leaning heavily, impinging a nerve, causing tingling and repositioning the arm making sure to take the weight of it using cushions will stop the sensation.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Ellie, yes we did post something similar and read the replies which were sympathetic, but unfortunately didn't move us any nearer to a solution. Our son hoped this post might widen the search. My wife is constantly repositioning the arm throughout the night, and using a cushion to relieve pressure, but the tear making discomfort continues. A variety of drugs, doses and times of administering them have so far been unsuccessful. so the search goes on.

Comment

Radar 22 I find that heating pads are so helpful. I bought a Sunbeam heating pad that is weighted and hugs my arm or leg. It has been a game changer for me.

Comment

• Does repositioning arm or massage help?

Comment

Have you tried using ice packs or heating packs? Ice and heat tend to shrink/expand tissue and one or the other may provide relief. I use a roll-on with lidocaine on my neck, it gives mild relief when muscles ache.

Comment

Working...
            X