Back to School…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to School…

My daughter went back to school today, and begged me to take her. Tricky part is that I actually worked at her school, as a teacher. This is the first time I’m not at school on the first day, and I’ve been teaching for over 20 years. So I put my walker in the car and drove us, dragging my leg. It was emotionally draining and I feel so sad now. This disease is one loss after another. ☹️

Oh angie AngieCanuck that made me cry. Funny how that return to school in September can feel so sad because the holidays are over but to go back and not return with everyone else because of this ******* disease ... oh I cant think of the right words.

I'm just sending hugs and kisses.
    🤗🤗🤗😘🤗😘😘🤗
    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

AngieCanuck oh thats sad. But you should be proud that you made the huge effort.

Xx
      Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

AngieCanuck well done you tho , takes great mental and physical strength 💪

Comment

AngieCanuck that really must have made your loss real, so sorry for the pain, be compassionate to yourself, but like others say, also congratulate yourself for facing up to it and going for your daughter’s sake. X
          Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

Well done AngieCanuck for taking your daughter to school. September always seems like an especially poignant month and I understand your heartbreak.

I was a primary teacher too and we lived directly opposite the school ( not sure if that's a good idea... trick or treat was very busy 🤣) I
            loved my job and the first year I watched the children going to school after I'd had to retire broke my heart..

Take care of yourself.. you deserve to feel proud xxx😘🤗

Comment

AngieCanuck oh Angie that is sad to read and must have been such an emotional moment. I hope in time you can see the positives of being able to take your daughter to school and how you have managed. well done on today. Am sure your daughter was really chuffed that you did it too. xx
              Diagnosed June 2022. Confirmed MND which is currently PLS. Limb onset.

Comment

AngieCanuck
                Well done for taking your daughter to school. She must have been so happy but mixed emotions for you. Sending love xx
                Diagnosed 3rd November 2021 Bulbar Onset

Comment

AngieCanuck it was great you took your daughter to school, I know it must have been hard for you but bet your daughter was thrilled. Well done xx

Comment

AngieCanuck Yes, those milestone days are very emotional indeed, and a double whammy for you as it was where you worked. Although it doesn’t get easier, you both find different ways of experiencing those milestones without losing their importance.

I walked my 4yo daughter into her classroom on her first day of school, 5 months after my ALS diagnosis. By the following year I was in a wheelchair. Yet, and I hope you take comfort in this, 14 years later, I saw her graduate from school.

Proud of you Mama Angie 🤗🤗😘😘
                    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

AngieCanuck yes, this disease is one loss after another. I can’t imagine how hard it is for you to not be in the classroom this year. Well done on taking your daughter in, despite it being emotionally hard for you.

Both of my granddaughters are in school this year so I won’t be seeing much of them. My daughter works an odd schedule so is frequently unavailable to visit on weekends. Just one more loss…
                      Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

AngieCanuck well done you as I know it would have been difficult for you x your daughter would have been very proud to have you there x you are amazing xx

Comment

Thanks everyone, your kind words have really been a comfort. I feel like I have a whole support crew with you all. Everyone really understands what I’m going through. I feel really encouraged. Ellie I hope that I can also see my daughter graduate. You are my inspiration, persevering through, with two children, never giving up. ❤️🫶

Comment

Working...
                          X