• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug Carpenter
    Forum Member
    • May 2017

Black humour, beware: Running out of options

Because, up to now, the progression of my MND has been fairly slow – for which I’m grateful, of course – I used to joke with my GP that I might live long enough to die of something else.

Well, those options were reduced by one today. I’ve just had my annual cancer screening examination – all clear after five years since the operation. So they’ve discharged me.

So bloody MND goes back to the top of the list!

Mind you, there still remains the option of cardiac arrest during the passionate nightly embraces of a toned, blonde physiotherapist (preferably female). Must look into that!

Just dreaming.

Doug
    Diagnosed April 2017
  • Gillette
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2019

Hee hee hee. Be careful, Doug, just the dreaming might be enough to bring on the option!

Congratulations on the 5-year all clear.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
      Forum Member
      • May 2017

Thanks Dina.

Good point! Hadn't thought of that.

Seriously though - many thanks.

It all feels very wierd today.

Big hug and fingers crossed about your grand-daughter.

Doug x
      Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Gillette
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2019

Thanks, Doug. She needs to get a move on!
        Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Kayleigh
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2018

Very glad to hear you got the 5 year all clear Doug!

- and please keep your heart rate nice and steady Mr Casanova !! .... otherwise I'll have to send Norah 'wrinkled stockings' Battey round with a large bucket of cold water to cool you down! Lol

Hugs
          Kayleigh x
          Last edited by Kayleigh; 9 July 2019, 21:10.

Comment

• Lynne K
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2017

Great to hear of your 5 year all clear news Doug.

I think that dreaming is somewhere we can be who we really are without this horrid limiting disease, and/or be who we want to be.

I've recently reconnected with my dreaming in terms of awareness of it happening and a bit of control. I did this when I was younger. But I lost this over the years through sleep deprivation. Then I started napping during the day a couple of months ago. It seems to have either stimulated my dreaming, or else its been happening all along but I didn't know of it for years.
            Last edited by Lynne K; 9 July 2019, 22:52.
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• ccinjersey

Congrats on your all clear 5 year mark Doug

Something to celebrate, it might not be your toned blonde physiotherapist but will get your heart racing...and not put you into cardiac arrest, I hope! LOL

CCxox

Enjoy

Listen to Christina Aguilera on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/XtinaSpotifyCheck out more great videos from the 00's here: http://smarturl.it/Ultimate00--------...

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
                Forum Member
                • May 2017

Thanks folks for your kind posts. Don’t worry Kayleigh, I’ll be careful!

Seriously, one must be grateful for small mercies I guess.

You’re right about dreaming Lynne. I think I’ve always dreamed – not that I can remember much. The trick apparently is, immediately on waking and still dozy, to tell yourself the dream and thus put it in conscious memory. My counsellor at the hospice tells me to write them down at once in a bedside notebook. Trouble is my handwriting is so bad then I can hardly read my own notes afterwards!

I don’t think MND has affected my dreams much. They have always been mostly about very mundane things, clearly related to events the previous day or something that is significant in the near future. But they almost invariably have some bizarre twists or juxtapositions that couldn’t possibly happen in real life but which seem perfectly logical and unremarkable in the dream.

It’s also true, at least so far, that I don’t seem disabled in my dreams. Although last night I couldn’t keep up with a group of people on a tour who were walking rather fast. But I’m certain I did not have my crutch or walker. Very odd!

No physiotherapists of any hair colour or gender have figured thus far!

Doug

Doug
                Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Ellie
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2012

Sorry Doug, IDK how I somehow missed this thread

That's great news on being 5 years cancer free.

That's one nail you can take out of your coffin

Love Ellie.
                  ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2017

Thanks Ellie. No problem.

I like the idea of removing coffin nails.

Love

Doug
                    Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

Working...
                    X