Orthotics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orthotics?

I was pencilled in for an Orthotics assessment in November, as there isn't great concern around lower leg risks at present (some noticeable lower leg, left ankle weakness observed by Neurologist and Hospital Physio).
    However, the lovely pro-active folk at my regional MND multi-discipline team phoned to say there is a cancellation slot tomorrow morning.
    What should I ask or mention?
    I wear boot type trainers most of the time, comfy high ankle work boots a lot, as well as ridiculously large stompy Goth / biker style boots above calf height now and then.
    I have some 'foot drop' / toe scuff scenarios several times a day, but still drive a van / tractor / motorbike (disability driving assessment had no negative observations around pedals / movement), 12 miles walking in a day (countryside or town) is still reasonable now and then.
    I don't know how much of the whole leg impacts on this - I get a hollow sensation the length of my inner thighs, as well as some body trunk fasciculations and abdo spasms, together with an asymmetric left / right upper leg ache difference and knee joint pain now and then.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 28 September 2022, 19:05.
    2020: odd symptoms. Nov 2021: Hand atrophy.. Mar 2022: Second arm atrophy - Confirmed Apr 2022: MND.
    Also Crohn's Disease from 2005ish. (Hi, I'm Dan in Cheshire)...

Arcadian Iโ€™m sure the team will advise you tomorrow. Just explain what you have said above, and I think once you are under their care, even if nothing is needed yet you can always contact them. Good luck for tomorrow.x

Comment

Cheers Piglet - the Physio the other week said it was for assessment of type / style sizing etc. so that they are ready for when needed. I think just for my ankles - not sure about my left wrist / right arm / neck, but will ask tomorrow...
      2020: odd symptoms. Nov 2021: Hand atrophy.. Mar 2022: Second arm atrophy - Confirmed Apr 2022: MND.

Comment

Arcadian I had my first orthotics appointment a few weeks ago. The gentleman watched me walk down the corridor etc but also said it's synthetic walking like that inside and so doesn't really reflect how u walk outdoors and on terrain etc. I was showed the various orthotics they can custom make to stop foot rolling outwards and odd foot scuff. He measured my lower legs and also did a plaster cast moulding of how the leg should be positioned. He said I might not need all 3 and one is an off the shelf standard one. They fit in majority of shoes and would be ready in a couple of months to allow for booking in a follow up appointment to try them. He said might not even need them yet but I would then have them for future progression as they are then ready made. Even had a choice of the transfer background pattern.... i went for Disney sea creatures ... i think the people making them will think a 10 year old has big feet ๐Ÿค” x
        Diagnosed June 2022. Confirmed MND which is currently PLS. Limb onset.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcadian View Post
          What should I ask or mention?
          ๐Ÿ‘‡

I wear boot type trainers most of the time, comfy high ankle work boots a lot, as well as ridiculously large stompy Goth / biker style boots above calf height now and then.
          I have some 'foot drop' / toe scuff scenarios several times a day, but still drive a van / tractor / motorbike (disability driving assessment had no negative observations around pedals / movement), 12 miles walking in a day (countryside or town) is still reasonable now and then.
          I don't know how much of the whole leg impacts on this - I get a hollow sensation the length of my inner thighs, as well as some body trunk fasciculations and abdo spasms, together with an asymmetric left / right upper leg ache difference and knee joint pain now and then.

Although in truth, they'll have your gait sussed before you bump elbows.

Hope it goes well. xx
          โ€‹Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

โ€‹

Comment

Originally posted by Zante View Post
            Even had a choice of the transfer background pattern.... i went for Disney sea creatures ...
            ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Can't wait to see what Arcadian chooses!

โ€‹

Comment

Zante cheers - ironically I was in a research study on Monday that analysed skeletal / joint movement and gait analysis, but unfortunately is not part of my medical care. The test was clever in that they asked you to walk 3 times from a position in a room, then later revealed that the analysis was actually 3 times walking back to the start, as you don't think you are being assessed doing that bit and may be walking more naturally.
              Was the orthotics walk test bare-foot, or in footwear? Now working out if I actually have 'sensible' footware that I wear often enough to be representative...

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                ๐Ÿ‘‡

Can't wait to see what Arcadian chooses!โ€‹

Although in truth, they'll have your gait sussed before you bump elbows.

Hope it goes well. xx
                Ooh stop it! Last time I tried heels they were my mate's and his concern for the wellbeing of his boots heels, avoided me wearing them for long and being over confident and having an unexpected trip to A&E...

Comment

Arcadian the walk down corridor was bare foot which I struggled with. And again then with trainers on which I was wearing to appointment.
                  second choice background was jungle animals ๐Ÿ˜ x

Comment

And I don't think it mattered how I walked. The main goal was a contraption to keep the foot and lower leg in the position it should be in!

Comment

Originally posted by Zante View Post
                      And I don't think it mattered how I walked. The main goal was a contraption to keep the foot and lower leg in the position it should be in!
                      I'm told I've walked like Felix the Cat for the last 30 odd+ years...

This time last year (science and engineering work head engaging), I did wonder about exoskeletons...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Arcadian I hope it goes well tomorrow and u have someone as helpful and friendly as I did. X

Comment

Cheers Zante the folk at The Walton Centre do seem to be very engaging, empathetic and proactive, compared to my experiences at my local general hospital.

Comment

I'm told I've walked like Felix the Cat for the last 30 odd+ years...
                            That walk plus ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ข๐Ÿ‘ข, it's no wonder you ended up in A&E ๐Ÿ˜

โ€‹

Comment

Ellie hope they like a challenge tomorrow:-

"So Mr Arcadian, what are your work and sports / hobby activities?"

"Erm, Oil Rig repairs, Forestry Conservation, weird nightclubs and ballet..." (If anybody mentions Monty Python lumberjacks, I'll cry)

Comment

Working...
                              X