Teeth cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teeth cleaning

Maybe a silly question but I’m finding it really difficult to brush my teeth. Arms/hands are fairly rubbish but it’s the breathing that’s causing the problem. I get totally out of breath! Anybody got any solutions? X

Having the same problem, not with breathing so much as simply handling the toothbrush accurately enough. Be interested to hear any ideas.

Comment

I know Matthew tried something and it was quite expensive but it didn't last very long. Someone else might remember what it was before anyone else wastes their money.

Sorry I cant come up with anything useful 😐
      when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

My PAs clean my teeth now and have done so for about the last two years. Before that when I was struggling I was able to make a fist and hold the toothbrush upright on the arm of my power chair and take my teeth to the brush (if that makes any sense at all). This only works with an electric toothbrush though 👍
        Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Screenshot_20221005-120319.png​​​​​I use a length of pipe lagging pushed onto the toothbrush handle, this makes it easier to grip.

I have to use two hands, one supports the other.

​​​​​​Sometimes I sit at the kitchen table with a bottle of water and a cup to spit in, resting my elbows on the table. I take my face to the brush similar to JamesW describes. For cleaning front teeth I tend to move my head (like shaking my head) rather than moving the brush.

Can't comment on breathing issues when cleaning teeth.
          Last edited by Tabbycat; 5 October 2022, 11:23. Reason: Added picture
          Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder and hand function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

Good point Tabbycat about using something to thicken the handle of the brush. In my case the electric toothbrush had quite a substantial handle area because of the batteries and whatever else is inside them ☺️
            Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Thought I'd stumbled across an NSFW thread here 😉😉

Like others, I brought my mouth to the electric toothbrush and moved my head rather than the toothbrush, but I've had somebody do the brushing for years now.

Maybe if you sat, used an electric brush (if not using one) and took frequent breaks, your breathing might not be so affected, and only use a scraping of toothpaste with little or no water. xx
              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

I am also finding a standard brush awkward in hands particularly turning it to angle for upper teeth, but the electric brush is bit easier. I also seem to dribble the toothpaste a lot onto floor and edge of sink! x
                Diagnosed June 2022. Confirmed MND. Limb onset. Symptoms started November 2020.

Comment

I don’t have problems with my limbs so can hold my toothbrush with no problems but this past week I am finding my jaw clamps down on the brush. I’m not sure why? 🤷‍♀️
                  Bulbar onset diagnosed Nov 21. No speech, feeding tube, limbs getting weaker but still just about mobile.

Comment

my carers cleanmy teeth now. I've very little saliva now so they stop and let me have a breather on my bipap which I now depend upon xx
                    Diagnosed 18th May 2021 with sporadic ALS. Limb onset. Terrified of not being able to breathe easily.

Comment

I use an electric brush so I can grip it ok. It's still an effort to control moving it about though and I get tired.

I also leave my mouth open and let the toothpaste/ saliva just dribble out and into the sink because I can't cope with it in my mouth.
                      Diagnosis confirmed as atypical ALS Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now widespread. Powerchair user, useless left arm and clumsy right hand but generally positive!

Comment

I've heard there's a low foaming toothpaste but my Dad hasn't tried it. I don't know if that would be of any help in terms of the saliva / clearing the toothpaste foam.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope View Post
                          I am finding my jaw clamps down on the brush. I’m not sure why?
                          Ah, that will be your naughty upper motor neurons causing muscle spams making your jaws clench 🥴

It can cause you to take chunks out of your cheeks and bite down hard on your tongue and, as if that's not bad enough, you need to wait until the muscle relaxes before freeing said tongue or cheek - ow! xx
                          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

I’m too having problems, when my hands get tired my carers finish my cleaning but I have a small plastic container under my chin to catch any dribble as I can’t sit up to the sink.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post

Ah, that will be your naughty upper motor neurons causing muscle spams making your jaws clench 🥴

It can cause you to take chunks out of your cheeks and bite down hard on your tongue and, as if that's not bad enough, you need to wait until the muscle relaxes before freeing said tongue or cheek - ow! xx
                              I did have a phase of chomping on my cheeks but fortunately that has stopped now. xx
                              Bulbar onset diagnosed Nov 21. No speech, feeding tube, limbs getting weaker but still just about mobile.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              👍