• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gillette
    replied
    Originally posted by Kayleigh View Post
    Hi Dina,

I hope you enjoyed the weekend with your family staying and meeting your lovely baby granddaughter for the first time. I hope their journeys went smoothly and you all had a great time together.

Love Kayleigh x
    Hi Kayleigh,

Thank you so much for asking. We had a wonderful weekend. I had literally hours of cuddles, read her some stories (which my son recorded so that he can play them to her to show who I am/was.

Their journeys went smoothly except his fiancée left her handbag in the baby changing room and didn't realise until they were on the tube. She went back to Euston but there was no sign of it, nor had it been handed in.

Leave a comment:

• Kayleigh
    replied
    Originally posted by Gillette View Post
    Thanks, Kayleigh.

This evening has been a mad flurry of telephone calls and messages sorting out last minute arrangements. I had planned to meet them at the tram station but, unfortunately, the forecast is for heavy rain. Not only that but they are travelling on an earlier train than anticipated so will be arriving before my carers are likely to have finished. I shall have to tell the carers to work at double speed!
    Hi Dina,

I hope you enjoyed the weekend with your family staying and meeting your lovely baby granddaughter for the first time. I hope their journeys went smoothly and you all had a great time together.

Love Kayleigh x

Leave a comment:

• Gillette
    replied
    Originally posted by Dis1960 View Post
    Congratulations on the granddaughter Dina

The physios who deal with the ventilator and the cough assist machines at Wythenshawe are all good. So are most of the nursing staff.
    You will have a chest x-ray within the first day or so
    They also will give a nightly anti-coagulation injection in your tummy
    There is a Subway, an M&S and a WH Smiths not far from the ward
    Thank you, Douglas.

Thank you, also, for the heads up about what's likely to happen during my stay. I wonder if they will allow me to self-administer the anti-coagulent, like I did in the Acute Neurology Unit at Salford Royal?

Leave a comment:

• Dis1960
    replied
    Congratulations on the granddaughter Dina

The physios who deal with the ventilator and the cough assist machines at Wythenshawe are all good. So are most of the nursing staff.
    You will have a chest x-ray within the first day or so
    They also will give a nightly anti-coagulation injection in your tummy
    There is a Subway, an M&S and a WH Smiths not far from the ward - Christine brought me daily ice creams and coca-cola to supplement the diet
    Last edited by Dis1960; 27 July 2019, 08:47. Reason: Coca-cola

Leave a comment:

• Gillette
    replied
    Originally posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Dina;

It might be good to have a thread on it, if people know what it is about in the heading then they don't have to look.

It's good that you can talk about it.

Love Terry
    Hi Terry,

That's fine. I'll start a new thread.

And, yes, we are very lucky that we are able to talk openly about end of life.

Leave a comment:

• Gillette
    replied
    Originally posted by Kayleigh View Post
    Hi Nana Dina!

Many congratulations on the arrival of your granddaughter - I expect you can't wait to meet her at the weekend!

A new baby is such a joy and can be a wonderful ray of sunshine, especially during difficult times. I hope you have a lovely weekend packed full of special moments with your beautiful granddaughter.

Love and best wishes to you and your family,
    Kayleigh x
    Thanks, Kayleigh.

This evening has been a mad flurry of telephone calls and messages sorting out last minute arrangements. I had planned to meet them at the tram station but, unfortunately, the forecast is for heavy rain. Not only that but they are travelling on an earlier train than anticipated so will be arriving before my carers are likely to have finished. I shall have to tell the carers to work at double speed!

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Dina;

It might be good to have a thread on it, if people know what it is about in the heading then they don't have to look.

It's good that you can talk about it.

Love Terry

Leave a comment:

• Gillette
    replied
    Ellie, you are so kind and generous with your knowledge. Thank you so much.

I don't have a problem with end of life discussions: my sons and I talk freely about it. They even told me which dates I wasn't allowed to die! We are very lucky that we are able to air the subject. In fact, I have told my sons and my partner that they should discuss my funeral this weekend, when they will all be here.

As you say, it is better to leave researching the ADRT until Monday but I would be grateful for any help you are able to give. I don't mind whether we do it in this thread or by private messages.

Leave a comment:

• Kayleigh
    replied
    Hi Nana Dina!

Many congratulations on the arrival of your granddaughter - I expect you can't wait to meet her at the weekend!

A new baby is such a joy and can be a wonderful ray of sunshine, especially during difficult times. I hope you have a lovely weekend packed full of special moments with your beautiful granddaughter.

Love and best wishes to you and your family,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 26 July 2019, 16:35.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Gillette View Post
    As for the ADRT, my difficulty is in not knowing what the procedures are, what happens with them and what options there are.
    Hi Dina,

I didn't know if that is a rhetorical question, or not!

Whilst it is an obviously difficult topic, it is something many of us do think about and document our wishes to have control over our treatment / interventions.

If you want detailed info on what an ADRT involves, I can give you a link BUT it's very detailed and obviously contains end of life discussion, which you may not be ready to read.

If you want a list of a few 'treatments' involved in an ADRT (e.g. NIV) I can give you a basic idea of what may be covered.

If indeed you are looking for info on ADRTs, leave it until after the weekend maybe...

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    Hi Dina,

I can understand how you must feel totally overwhelmed with so much going on and it must have been really upsetting not to see your new granddaughter last weekend when you were all set up to go. I am so sorry about everything.

It will be gorgeous to see her this weekend, however so enjoy every second and big congratulations to the new mum and dad.

Our sons are both 6 3, like their dad but they are still my little boys !

Love Debbie x

Leave a comment:

• Sheila
    replied
    Hi Dina, so pleased you are meeting your granddaughter for the first time, how exciting for you.
    Take care
    Sheila.

Leave a comment:

• Gillette
    replied
    Hi Ellie,

I certainly hope the ventilator improves my energy levels! As for the ADRT, my difficulty is in not knowing what the procedures are, what happens with them and what options there are.

I don't have an admission date, he was hoping it would be next week. Apparently I am likely to receive a phone call one morning telling me that there is a bed for me that day.

Leave a comment:

• Gillette
    replied
    Hi Lynne, thank you. Yes, I'm looking forward to them coming. By the way, I must ask my 6'4" son how he feels about being a daughter! Ha ha ha. He gets fed up when I call him "my little boy" because he's the younger of my two sons, so he's sure to enjoy having a quick transition!

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Oh Dina, I am so happy for you that you'll get to meet your new baby granddaughter this weekend - how special that will be.

It's good that your daughter is coming to you, enjoy every minute with them.

It makes sense to defer the op until post-PEG procedure and see how that goes before committing to a GA.

I can only imagine your ADRT dilemma - it must be very hard to decide on interventions whilst their 'need' come hard and fast, and without warning. If it helps, any intervention can be reassessed at any time, with or without an ADRT and any unwanted intervention can be stopped or removed/not used.

I know you were not expecting NIV/BiPAP/Nippy to be started at this point, but using it overnight should give you extra pep during the day, improving your quality of live.

The figures you quoted look like Peak Cough Flow values, which would tie in with what you said about the Cough Assist.

Have you a date for your stay?

Love Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 25 July 2019, 17:47.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X