Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for short trips out pls

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ideas for short trips out pls

    Hello all

    My father has difficulties in his wheelchair for long periods of time and has to use urine bottles - he has been on the list re assessment for other options for months.

    I’m worried my dad is losing touch with people and becoming reclusive as he never goes out. He doesn’t like going out around people who aren’t ill as he feels paranoid but then finds places like hospices depressing.

    Any ideas for nice places in or around Greater Manchester that I could take him to to give hima. Break without it being overwhelming for him?

    #2
    Originally posted by Vicky86 View Post
    Hello all


    My father has difficulties in his wheelchair for long periods of time and has to use urine bottles - he has been on the list re assessment for other options for months.

    I’m worried my dad is losing touch with people and becoming reclusive as he never goes out. He doesn’t like going out around people who aren’t ill as he feels paranoid but then finds places like hospices depressing.

    Any ideas for nice places in or around Greater Manchester that I could take him to to give hima. Break without it being overwhelming for him?
    Hi Vicky86,

    Do you know the sorts of places he likes to go? In the meantime, how about:
    The Imperial War Museum
    Avro Heritage museum (aircraft)
    Dunham Massey
    The Manchester area MNDA group
    Dina

    Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks Dina, all good ideas!

      The problem is that since being diagnosed and even before with the disabilities he was experiencing my dad has completely lost his confidence. Hel stay in and find any excuse to not come out when I plan things for us. I completely understand how hard it is for him as I struggle with it myself but I know it will make him feel better to go out.

      I don’t really know what he likes anymore as feel he’s lost himself want to help him get this back and not let mnd win I guess 💪🏻

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Vicky86 View Post
        Thanks Dina, all good ideas!

        The problem is that since being diagnosed and even before with the disabilities he was experiencing my dad has completely lost his confidence. Hel stay in and find any excuse to not come out when I plan things for us. I completely understand how hard it is for him as I struggle with it myself but I know it will make him feel better to go out.

        I don’t really know what he likes anymore as feel he’s lost himself want to help him get this back and not let mnd win I guess 💪🏻
        Hi Vicky,

        I meant to include MOSI - the Museum of Science and Industry, and Bolton Steam Museum.
        Dina

        Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

        Comment


          #5
          Hi Vicky,

          As an alternative to urine bottles your dad could use a sheath. I know a few people who find them useful.

          https://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/...eter-24mm.html

          Best wishes,
          Barry
          I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

          Comment


            #6
            Hi. Vicky

            What about starting with a walk around a local park, shops, visiting cafe or pub for lunch or attending a local Mnd group. These are things we do often. Steve wears a convene when he is out. It is a sheath attached to a bag on his leg.

            Sue

            Comment


              #7
              Hi vicky,

              I think that Sue's idea of starting with smaller trips is good.

              Like her Steve,, I also wear a convene when I have long car trips and they were supplied by the convene nurse, it requires reasonable finger movement to put them on or someone else. So it might not be for you.

              If the wheelchair is not comfortable then contact the wheelchair services for different cushions or a more suitable wheelchair.

              Great places Dina, I wish I was closer but I have been to some years ago.

              Love Terry
              TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

              It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

              Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

              Comment


                #8
                Thanks Barry this is what we are waiting for him to be assessed for - is it possibly something he could just try anyway beforehand do you think? As it is taking so long

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks Sue I like these ideas. Not sure I could get my dad to go for drinks or food though as he’s v self conscious

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Vicky86 View Post
                    Thanks Barry this is what we are waiting for him to be assessed for - is it possibly something he could just try anyway beforehand do you think? As it is taking so long
                    Vicky, I don’t believe an assessment is required to use a convene as they can be purchased in a pharmacy or on the internet.

                    Barry
                    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hi vicky and Barry,

                      It's not quite as simple as that, Barry.

                      As well as the condom thingy which comes in different sizes, you need a bag which also comes in different capacities. These bags have a single length tube fitted which will probably need shortering and a adapter fitted. These bags normally are secured to the lower leg using a special sleeve. AND the most important thing is to have some spray glue unsticker to stop it causing pain and damage when it is removed.
                      I also have some wipes that protect the very delicate areas.

                      I said earlier that it is quite likely that someone else will would need to put the condom thingy on him.

                      You could buy the things but you would probably need instruction etc. Probably the worst thing would be to muddle your way through and it to leak etc.

                      If you have asked for help with this matter then maybe ask Mnda Connect to try and speed it along.

                      This video is of a different system but it has similar features ;

                      https://youtu.be/3w-SsLPkmhw

                      Love Terry
                      Last edited by Terry; 14 August 2019, 01:02.
                      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

                      It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

                      Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Hi,

                        A couple of comments on the video.

                        Bags of 250 ml would not be much use to me and I suspect most people, bladders hold 400 ml.

                        The condom thingy goes on and comes off a lot easier than the normal ones and also a model is a lot easier than the real thing.

                        Love Terry
                        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

                        It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

                        Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Again places like Dunham Massey, Tatton Park, Lyme Park, Heaton Park, Hollingworth Lake may be ok
                          Lowry Centre and Trafford Centre might work as well

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X