Comfy pillow for side sleeper with NIV mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comfy pillow for side sleeper with NIV mask

I sleep on my side and wear a NIV mask at night.I turn over frequently in the night. One pillow is too low and two too high.I find myself constantly pulling at my pillow until it’s half way down the bed along with me !

Pillows are so hard to get right. There are some that you can or remove the internal filling so you can adjust it. Another option might be a water pillow as again you can add/remove the water to get it right. I've used a water pillow for years due right neck/headache issues.

Comment

I'm a side sleeper too. I use a memory foam pillow with a sheepskin topper to add some height but provide even pressure distribution. The memory foam pillow really helps cradle my head and stops me from rolling off it no matter how much I move and it's soft enough to prevent the mask straps from digging in to my face too much.

I got a terrible pressure sore on one ear from the mask strap and my preferred firm pillow when I first started using a bipap- and one was also developing on the other ear. I had no idea it could happen on ears, but there you go.

Comment

I have a memory foam pillow with a hollow in the side of it that my shoulder fits into.
        If I need to fine tune the height, I have found that I can raise up the head end of my profiling bed a little.
        Never had a problem with mask straps, although I have only been using NIV for about a month.
        Hi, I'm Eddie.
        Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
        Full time powerchair user. Overnight NIV. PEG'ed but still eating. Voice banked but still talking.
        Still wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

ShiftKicker - I got a pressure sore on my ear from my mask too. My head flopped to the side (I was propped up on 5 pillows) and the pain woke me up. Really sore but I'm more aware/ careful now and have a profiling bed now which helps positioning.
          Diagnosis confirmed as atypical ALS Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now widespread. Powerchair user, useless left arm and clumsy right hand but generally positive!

Comment

ShiftKicker TinyLady Thankfully my straps can be adjusted at the top of my head which pulls the face straps up higher than my ears, avoiding pressure on my ears caused by straps pressing on them, which sounds awfully sore/burning btw.

Can you get better straps or a different mask? Anything you could put between your ear and the strap? xx
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

LesleyB There are special pillows for side-sleeping NIV users.

IDK how comfy they are and they're pretty expensive to take a punt on - search online for CPAP pillow for side sleeper. xx

Comment

LesleyB This is an example of a pillow:

image.png

Comment

Ellie, it was more a matter of how I was holding my head- the straps were sitting in such a way as to angle my head forward and causing more pressure on my ear. It wasn't til the sore developed that I realized there was a problem. And lord only knows, once a sore develops, it's very difficult to achieve full healing. All good now though- the memory foam pillow really does the trick. It looks like you have posted a sample of a really excellent one. Thank you!

Comment

Thank you everyone.I have seen the pillow especially for the mask.I have seen a pillow at John Lewis that has a shape for your shoulder.It costs about £30. I am going to ask my OT’s advice before I buy it.We seem to buy things only to find things only work for a few weeks. The cost of having MND seems endless.I have also been looking at the Wendylite sheets. They are one thing my OT can’t provide. Don’t want to buy them to find they don’t work for me.

Comment

LesleyB - my OT has managed to provide me with a pike of Wendylett sheets. It's taken several months of asking... so I am surprised yours can't get you some! Seems such a difference according to postcode...
                      Diagnosis confirmed as atypical ALS Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now widespread. Powerchair user, useless left arm and clumsy right hand but generally positive!

Comment

I have been lucky so far and my OT has got me anything I asked for.She visits me every five or six weeks. Plus I can text her if need be.

Comment

Working...
                        X